2011 TEG Giant Pumpkin Contest - JOIN US BY AUGUST 1ST!!

Cats Critters and Garden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'll join in on the fun! I have Rouge Vif D'Etampes, Connecticut Fields, and some volunteers from a pumpkin I threw out. The volunteers:
4439_plants_6-26-11_010.jpg

4439_plants_6-26-11_013.jpg

stepstephens2

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Superchemicalgirl- I'm in Fresno, CA. We've already had a couple of triple degree heat days and then it rained last night!?
Vfem- That's where that pumpkin vine wanted to go... it's a mammoth dill/black anise/fennel/white sage patch. I know you're not supposed to grow fennel near anything according to companion planting but I uh, umm... well, I like to pick and choose the rules I follow. ;) When I threw all those herb seeds down together I knew I probably shouldn't be doing that either... Oh, and there were some cumin seeds in there too. :gig

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Alright! We've got 2 new people in the contest. Thanks for joining.

I, too, am growing rouge vif d'etampes as one of my 9 varieties. Hopefully some survived the bad spring and gross wet summer we've had so far. First time this year growing those so I do hope I get something lovely from them besides fungus.

We had "partly sunny" today, what a miracle! It's warmed up too, 72 as a high today. Last week it was rainy and in the 50s.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have only planted Cider Jack-which will grow to 20-25 pounds. But, I will be eagerly watching the contest!

gardentoad

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
My plants are only 2inches tall, I think I did something wrong? Like plant them :th

Don :watering

gardentoad

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
lesa said:
Did you direct seed, gardentoad? If so, they will take awhile to catch up!
:lol: I think that may be an understatement, we have clay and that stuff is like concrete right now :he I just heard on the news that we just broke a record for the most days over 90 degrees
closer to 100 for 29 days in a row

Don :watering but not doing any good

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
gardentoad said:
lesa said:
:lol: I think that may be an understatement, we have clay and that stuff is like concrete right now :he I just heard on the news that we just broke a record for the most days over 90 degrees

Remember how I said it was partly sunny and not raining?

We just had a huge storm blow through, dumped MORE HAIL down and about 2 more inches of rain.

:barnie

You're still welcome to join us (in fact I added you to the first post anyway, so now you have no choice)... I never said you had to be an expert, in fact I think I alluded to myself being a gardening failtrain.

gardentoad

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
SuperChemicalGirl said:
gardentoad said:
lesa said:

Remember how I said it was partly sunny and not raining?

We just had a huge storm blow through, dumped MORE HAIL down and about 2 more inches of rain.

:barnie

You're still welcome to join us (in fact I added you to the first post anyway, so now you have no choice)... I never said you had to be an expert, in fact I think I alluded to myself being a gardening failtrain.
I really think I better set this one out, but I will keep an eye on the contest. Next year I have big plans for the whole garden,which I am already working on.

I have the fencing up, the greenhouse frame up, and the compost tumblers made and working. It will be about 99 % containers
We will be using loam compost and a good potting mix. No more clay for me..we have been putting this type of garden off for a couple of years..it looks like we will be here for awhile so we are going to make the investment.

Don :watering

edited to add, Ok you put me on the list so I will post a pic of what ever I get, man the arm twisting :rolleyes:

Latest posts