2011 TEG Giant Pumpkin Contest - JOIN US BY AUGUST 1ST!!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Everything looks great! Don't you love the birdhouse gourds? I had a good harvest of them this year. For the first time, I tried washing them in a weak bleach solution-hoping to avoid them rotting, while drying out.... Are those egg gourds? Were they easy to grow? I am always tempted by them, when I am looking in the seed catalogs!

Cats Critters and Garden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wisher1000 said:
Cats, What a beautiful fall harvest! Looks like Thanksgiving! I am jealous, especially of that sunflower at the back left of the pic. Great job!
Thanks! I had two large sunflower heads but the other one grew mold :( Hopefully I can dry this one out so to save some seeds and give the chickens a treat this winter.

SuperChemicalGirl said:
Cats Critters and Garden said:
Here is my major harvest, I need to weigh but here are my pumpkins mixed in with everything else:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-9eEgmOEN7...9UI/s1600/Garden+Harvest+10-1-11+2011+005.jpg

This one the chickens had a taste of: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-i1JHtMCqA..._1M/s1600/Garden+Harvest+10-1-11+2011+010.jpg

This bright orange pumpkin I harvested last week, next to it is my only watermelon:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-BuhZUCEDy...B6w/s1600/Garden+Harvest+10-1-11+2011+011.jpg
I'm very impressed that pumpkin survived that hen bite!
I have a bottle gourd with similar damage to it, the one I posted early on the thread with the huge holes in it rotted and dropped off the vine awhile back though.

lesa said:
Everything looks great! Don't you love the birdhouse gourds? I had a good harvest of them this year. For the first time, I tried washing them in a weak bleach solution-hoping to avoid them rotting, while drying out.... Are those egg gourds? Were they easy to grow? I am always tempted by them, when I am looking in the seed catalogs!
Yes I love birdhouse/bottle gourds! Only a few of my ones from last year (which where bigger :hu ) dried out, so hopefully this years will do better. But oddly enough there is a few pale ones mixed in that I don't know how they turned out that way.

Yep those are egg gourds and yes they where easy to grow, but I didn't get very many.

Cats Critters and Garden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Okay I just went and weighed mine, here is the weight in pounds, I gave them numbers so it's easier to talk about them:

1- 6.5
2- 4.2
3- 3.4
4- 2.5
5- 4
6- 3.8
7- 3
8- 5.4
9- 2.4
10- 3.8
11- 1
12- 1.2 (the one with the chicken bite)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Check Local Listings: PBS show on raising giant pumpkins. (click)

Just below the screen you will see the Episode Links which will take you to your local PBS station's schedule.

I don't understand the rules of this thread but I had 3, 17.5# pumpkins in the Sisters Garden this season, and several smaller. Obviously, no winners but there were a few pumpkins in my garden.

It took me years to come up with a variety that would consistently mature here. RockStar has no problem with that. The fruits will begin to change to orange in August and most will be fully orange by about the 3rd week of September. RockStar is a fairly large Jack o'Lantern type but the vines would have required less competition to reach their maximum size. I suppose that would be about 20#.

Steve
no Lord of the Gourd

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Check Local Listings: PBS show on raising giant pumpkins. (click)

Just below the screen you will see the Episode Links which will take you to your local PBS station's schedule.

I don't understand the rules of this thread but I had 3, 17.5# pumpkins in the Sisters Garden this season, and several smaller. Obviously, no winners but there were a few pumpkins in my garden.

It took me years to come up with a variety that would consistently mature here. RockStar has no problem with that. The fruits will begin to change to orange in August and most will be fully orange by about the 3rd week of September. RockStar is a fairly large Jack o'Lantern type but the vines would have required less competition to reach their maximum size. I suppose that would be about 20#.

Steve
no Lord of the Gourd
I'm sorry you don't understand the rules... to be eligible for prizes, you had to say you were joining the contest a few months ago. However, those not participating, I still encourage you to weigh in... I'll add you at the bottom of post #1.

Will try to do this again next year, hopefully there will be better turn out.

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Ok, weigh ins need to be in by midnight tomorrow... 10.15.11. I still am missing a lot of weigh ins. I've updated post #1 to reflect what I have so far, but here it is again:

2011 TEG Giant Pumpkin Contest Participants:

SuperChemicalGirl (growing Burpee Prizewinner Hybrid and Dill's Atlantic Giant) 22.8 lbs
stepstephens2 (Atlantic Giant?) 15.8 lbs
nachoqtpie
Cats Critters and Garden (rouge vif d'etampes, Ct Field, Volunteers) 6.5 lbs
gardentoad (Concrete Garden)
ShortCircuitRanch2332
Jared77 (Atlantic Giant)
ShowMe31
Mis3836
chris09 (Atlantic Giant)
HunkieDorie23
nachoqtpie
Merelyatheory