2012 Comparison Photos Updated post #19

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ok, Here is my front yard as of Jan. 26, 2012
The front of the house faces the North and gets a lot of shade during the summer.

This is what I see when I look out my front door.

1262012FrontDoorViewemail.jpg

My birdbath has a tiny garden, it has Nasturtiums, lettuce, and Spider plants in the ring.

1262012FrontBirdbath01email.jpg

Right now this bed is pretty much empty. It runs along the front porch.
I planted some Hollyhocks, and some Red Poppies in it, along the rock border there are garlic chives.
And there are a few Irises, I need to move them to a new place.
Near front door, there is a Lemon Grass, Rosemary, and some Green and Purple Shamrocks.
but nothing has really come up yet. There are also perennial Morning Glory vines in that bed. I am
hoping the Morning Glories will again grow along the eaves of the front porch since my over 20 year
old Algerian ivy plant died this year!

1262012FrontPorchGardenemail.jpg

This in just across the path from the empty bed above.
It has an assortment of perennials, small yellow mums, Lantana, Melissa(Lemon Balm), Sage, and a few types of Pestemons.
Dusty Miller, Feverfew, and a few other things I don't recall at the moment. The Nastirtiums are just starting to come in now.

1262012FrontWalkNothsidebedemail.jpg

This is the new path to the side yard I put in a few months ago. Between the stones are wild violets.
On the right hand side are some Algerian Ivy plants I am hoping will begin to cover the water pipes that are sticking out like a sore thumb now since the Ivy died.

1262012VioletPath01email.jpg

This is the flowerbed beside the new wild violet path. You can't really see what is in there.
Red poppies coming up, Johnny Jump ups, Alyssum, Lobelia, some Purple Wandering Jew, a few Snapdragons, some lettuce, Spearmint, (in an old washtub set in the soil, but it still escapes!) Also near the front door on both sides are Lemon Grass, and Green and Purple Shamrocks.

12262012FrontWindowGardenemail.jpg

This was how the trellis looked on 1 21 2012
Covered with dead Morning Glories, and you can see along the eaves of the house
and along the porch it was covered in dead vines

12102011DeadMorningGlories002email.jpg

I had to pull down all the old vines that ran along the porch and up the side of the house.
The house looks naked now!

1262012FrontYardemail.jpg

These are all my "before" photos. When I think things have grown enough to see a big difference I will post the newer photos, hopefully from the same angle of the "before" photos.

I hope to see how your garden progresses as the year goes by.
falling.gif
throw.gif
falling.gif

bluelacedredhead

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
You've got a cute yard. Lots of variety between the ornamental and edibles. And the ornamentals have utilitarian purposes beyond just looking pretty. I hope your new Algerian Ivy planting takes hold. And don't worry about the house looking naked for long. You had that many Morning Glories across the arbor, they'll be back!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You know I LOVE your after pics!!! :p Can't wait.

But... your before pics of the yard look 100x better then my very dead looking beds. LOL :lol:

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Detlor, I will be anxiously awaiting color photos of that garden! What a lot of progress you have made! Can't wait to see it in living color!

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
lesa said:
Detlor, I will be anxiously awaiting color photos of that garden! What a lot of progress you have made! Can't wait to see it in living color!
It was actually my Grandmother's old garden, and it had been unattended since about 2003, and I began tending to it in 2010. As you can see, I addded to it (2010), expanded it (2011), and compacted it and rearranged it (very late 2011). I now know how tall everything gets, and I've arranged the garden so it slopes up to the trees. I think it's gonna look great!

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
And just think -- I didn't even have enough room to list all of the plants!

Others -
-Heliotrope
-Gazania
-Stonecrop and decorative Lichens
-Chicken 'n Hens
-Morning Glory (climbing the tree)
-I forgot the name of the plant I was going to list here
-Clematis

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Spring has sprung here!

This is my first Poppy!
362012FirstPoppy01email.jpg

They come up thick every year! Many years ago now my grandaugher Jenna gave me some red poppy seeds, I think she was 7 or 8 at the time, she is now 16!

I took the first photo Jan. 26, 2012 and the second one the other day, March 5th to be exact.

352012FrontWindowGardenComparisonemail.jpg

All those tall plats are Poppies yet to bloom!

Poppies now blooming!! March 13, 2012

3132012FrontGarden026email.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looking good! I love poppies- that is going to be gorgeous when they are all in bloom. I have a peach colored one, that really is the star of my garden. Thanks for sharing spring, with us!

Latest posts