2012 TEG Giant Pumpkin Contest - weigh in by 15 October

Emsevers

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
SuperChemicalGirl said:
Emsevers said:
I took a picture of my pumpkin plant yesterday. I'm pretty excited about it's progress because it hasn't been in the ground very long. There aren't really any pumpkins started yet but there are female and male flowers so I'm optimistic. The weather has been perfect. We've been in the 80's for forever. I'm very excited.

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/6109_giant_pumpkin.jpg
Yours is only slightly smaller than mine and it's been in the ground, in a hoophouse, FOR TWO MONTHS.

I just got my first male flower on them about a week ago. I can see the beginnings of one female flower...
Glad to know that I'm not way behind. This is getting to be really fun. I think the next couple of months are going to feel like a very long time.

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
This whole stretch of the year is hard for me... trying on my patience. First it's to start seeds, then get them in the ground then the wait for fruits and veggies. I've been waiting for red tomatoes... STILL don't have any. I started my "early" set of tomato seedlings inside 03.23. But it's Maine and it got cold and dreary for weeks in May and early June.

My "4th of July" 49 day tomato has 1 fruit that just started turning pink today. My "Northern Exposure" isn't very far along, either. Surprisingly my Mortgage Lifter and Black Krim will probably be next to turn red. So much for "early" tomatoes. :)

Emsevers

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've had one cherry tomato ripen but the rest of my tomatoes are totally green, not even a hint of pink. Hopefully that will change soon. I feel very fortunate to live in an area where vegetables are pretty easy to grow even with a short growing season. Way to persevere though ChemGirl.

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hubby planted me a hill of some kind of "giant" pumpkin a few weeks ago and I have 3 small plants, so I guess I'll join the contest. I'm not holding out any hope of winning (we've had a HUGE squash bug problem this year) but it will be fun to try. ;)

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
The Mama Chicken said:
Hubby planted me a hill of some kind of "giant" pumpkin a few weeks ago and I have 3 small plants, so I guess I'll join the contest. I'm not holding out any hope of winning (we've had a HUGE squash bug problem this year) but it will be fun to try. ;)
That was nice of him! He must have read our contest and wanted you to participate. Got your name added.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
When your pumpkin starts to make a vine put a pile of soil every few feet. That way it will develop roots along the way and the vine borer will not kill the whole plant. Watch for any boring debris and put bt down the hole to kill the borer.
vfem said:
Vine borers got mine AGAIN!

So we're going to replant late. Wish us luck!!!

diggerthechickenman

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I acquired some pumpkin seeds from the feed store while i was picking up feed one day a while back. Planted them by a fence row at the edge of my garden under some cedar trees , the ground is like a huge compost pile under there, and this is what i have so far. this has not been weeded just planted and left alone to see if it would grow. i dont even know what kind of punpkin it is.

9126_pumpkin.jpg

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
diggerthechickenman said:
I acquired some pumpkin seeds from the feed store while i was picking up feed one day a while back. Planted them by a fence row at the edge of my garden under some cedar trees , the ground is like a huge compost pile under there, and this is what i have so far. this has not been weeded just planted and left alone to see if it would grow. i dont even know what kind of punpkin it is.

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/9126_pumpkin.jpg
Nice picture! Thanks for joining us.

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I put my pumpkin seeds in the ground less than a week ago and I have Plants already!!! I am so excited about getting pumpkins for Thanksgiving!!!!

Latest posts