1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Donation Requests - Support Sumi's Health Recovery Fund - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

2015 journal of the gardens

Discussion in 'Fruits & Vegetables' started by majorcatfish, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Sep 24, 2015
    journey11

journey11 Garden Master

Oh, they had a great time and already want to go do it again. Well, aside from the initial sea-sickness, that is. ;) My friend and I were joking that now they know what morning sickness feels like. :D They only caught 4 tuna, for a total of 57 pounds. A shark ate another one right off the line and all they got was the head. :eek: We're looking forward to cooking them up on the grill here as soon as we can get all of the intrepid fishermen and their families together. LOL.

@ninnymary , have you tried Pic 'n' Pic hybrid yellow summer quash? Those have been the most productive and disease resistant that I've grown. It could be your climate or soil pH/calcium absorption causing the blossom end rot.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
    Jared77 and majorcatfish like this.
  2. Sep 24, 2015
    ninnymary

ninnymary Garden Master

Yes, Journey I've tried that one. I thought it would be a winner because of the name.

Mary

3. Sep 24, 2015
    thistlebloom

thistlebloom Garden Master

@journey11 , could you let me know how you cook the tuna? A friend of ours brought us a hunk from a fishing trip (would that be a fillet? a steak?). Everything I look at online says to sear the outside and eat it with the interior basically raw. I don't think I can do that . (I know, what a wimp ) and dh isn't wild about fish to begin with so I know he doesn't want it pink and practically squirming lol..

4. Sep 24, 2015
    so lucky

so lucky Garden Master

I don't get how people can eat raw fish--sushi--I guess they put something on it, but to me it would be like chewing up a goldfish. Thistle, maybe you can slice it about an inch thick and pan sear it. That should cook the inside enough.
    I found a really good rub recipe for salmon on the package of the frozen pink salmon that Wally world sells. It is pretty spicy, but you can put more or less on. I bet it would be good on the tuna. If anyone wants it I can post it.

thistlebloom likes this.
  5. Sep 24, 2015
    journey11

journey11 Garden Master

It does come out like a steak, and like you say, most people will cook theirs "rare". The longer you cook it, the more likely you will dry it out. We marinate ours first. Italian dressing is good if you're in a hurry, or any other sweet marinade like teriyaki, or anything with brown sugar and soy sauce would be good. If you want to cook it through, you'll need to divide them in half to make them thinner so they'll cook quickly. Tuna steaks are not fishy tasting like canned tuna either. (If that's even really tuna in there, who knows!)

thistlebloom likes this.
  6. Sep 24, 2015
    Nyboy

Nyboy Garden Master

Lucky I am with you on raw fish !!!!!

7. Sep 24, 2015
    Nyboy

Nyboy Garden Master

A law was just pasted in NY, all raw fish has to be frozen before it can be served. Kind of stupid because I don't think freezing kills all parasites.

8. Sep 24, 2015
    majorcatfish

majorcatfish Garden Master

what time is dinner? love fresh tuna........

sorry mary can not help you on a good variety we just go down to the farmers market and purchase 1 or 2 plants...

love going to the sushi house, couple bottles of sake, some rolls, some sushi, some Sashimi.. @so lucky not all "sushi" is raw....

Jared77 likes this.
  9. Sep 24, 2015
    ninnymary

ninnymary Garden Master

I love California rolls, crab meat with avocado. Teka Maki, tuna, is also delicious!

Mary

10. Sep 24, 2015
    thistlebloom

thistlebloom Garden Master

Thanks Journey and so Lucky, I will cut it into a thinner steak so it's more like the fish I'm used to. And that rub recipe would be great @so lucky . :)