2015 Little Easy Bean Network - Old Beans Should Never Die !

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If the Nimyo needs a longer growing season, I could try that one. And perhaps the Imbotyi Chaphaza and/or Kambulanketi. Or maybe you have something you know needs a longer season, let me know. I've left a little space to play with the unknown!

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good luck with those Sea-K. Interesting the link you gave for V. subterranea shows they like dry, poor soils. It seems I live in a place very similar to Africa. My county and one next to it have the highest number of African endangered species being raised under conservation permit than even the places from where they came. I regularly see black buck antelope, scimitar orxy, dik dik, even zebra grazing on ranches. One day I will try growing Teff.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good luck @flowerweaver I grew the Bambarra and jugo beans last year and was a total failure. I thought I was far enough south for them, 75 miles north of Houston ....... WRONG! Maybe it was grower difficulty LOL. They might grow and thrive for you!

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@baymule, thanks. I'm probably 75 miles south of Houston, except five hours west into the desert. Could it have been your soil--did you have sandy loam or blackland prairie clay?--or more rainfall? So you just dug up the plant at end of season and found nothing underground? (I'm guessing that's how it's done, like a peanut?) Or did the plant fail from not having a long enough season? I will have to learn more about the plant's habits from you. If I can't grow it here where it's like Africa, I don't know where it might grow.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had good loose soil, watered, but didn't overdo it. The leaves died back in the fall, but there was nothing underneath. Dunno what went wrong.

They have tiny yellow flowers close to the soil. Now we live north of Tyler, if I couldn't grow them at the old house, bet I can't grow them here! LOL

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
do you have any info on Zebra? i was trying to see what their pods look like but wasn't sure i found the right ones, the only one i could find info on was called Selma Zebra. is this the same type? any idea how long a season it may need?

i may do the Ausie Purple King, Prizewinner, Mammoth Golden Cluster-i especially like this one for some contrast in the garden, and Purple Champion. are any of the ones listed a lima type?

Latest posts