2015 Little Easy Bean Network - Old Beans Should Never Die !

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and little easy bean network @NancyJ10x You've come to the right place!

The pink podded burgundy bolitas is a selection from burgundy bolitas that I think may need a few more generations of selecting for the pink pods before running true to making pink pods. They are a bush bean that can grow in the mat style.

Those Wren's Egg have been really well selected, including selected to grow in Montana's short seasons, and surviving hail storms. They are I guess just about the most truly multi-purpose bean, with waxy borlotti type pods.

The Flor de Mayo are the best shelly beans, and are delicious raw at that stage.

Those Yoeme Pastel Eye are a selection from a Yoeme Mix, and are vigorous pole growers. Some of the pods are shaded and colorful.

Those Badda di Polizzi, those have a story behind them, and now you are part of the trail in that story!

Fanomen. Those are very aromatic bean pods. Very meaty and dense. Many of the good sized pods will be high up in the very tall plants. In clusters.

Dow Purple Pod will likely be the fastest growing Bean you've ever seen.

NancyJ10x

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks for the information, Marshall. I was doing some research on the beans and didn't find information on a couple of them. What is the story on the Badda beans? I didn't find any information on them or the Yoeme beans.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
@NancyJ10x
The Badda di Polizzi beans come in 2 basic kinds. One is called Blanda, and the other is called Negra. I was only able to get the Blanda. But when I grew them the first time I noticed that Blanda has 3 distinct slightly different types in it, and so I separated them and selected, and yes, each type breeds basically true. "Long Seed" simply has a slightly long seed compared to the other 2.

There is also one I called "Split Collar", which really seems to be the one most like most of the photos of Badda di Polizzi Blanda beans I've seen.
And then there is a 3rd one which only one plant made, with a much smaller mark around the eye.

All of them make the same kind of pole plant growth and pods.

Here is one website: The photo on this webpage is of the Negra.

http://www.parcodellemadonie.it/fagiolo-qbaddaq.html

As I understand and remember, someone went to a slow food convention in Italy where they saw a person getting ready to cook some of these beans. The chef would not share any of the beans. So someone "swiped" a handful and smuggled them to America. They were grown, and then a Mexican Farm Worker got some to grow, and then a small farm in Sonoma County got some from him. Then one neighbor family got some from the farm, and then they gave some to me.
I sorted them to type, and then got some to Russ, and some to flowerweaver, and now you have some.

Here's a site with a photo of the Blanda version:

http://naturaintasca.it/en/pulses/white-badda-bean-from-polizzi-24

These beans are of the sort that the color on them takes several months to develop after harvesting, no matter how dry ripe the pods are when picked.
So they may look pure bone white when harvested, or have only a trace of faint color, but store them normally, and then look again at them in a few months while they "color up".

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you Russ for sending out my two replacements so quickly. I planted them yesterday and they are packed and ready for their California adventure. On Thursday they are going to Arnold CA, then back to Angels Camp on Sunday. On Wednesday they will travel down to Chowchilla, on Friday they go to Sequoia National Park, then back home on Sunday. They are clearly excited to be such US travelers, given one is from South Africa and the other is from Australia. #33 and #35

NancyJ10x

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks, Russ. I'm looking forward to getting the beans. We have had a lot of rain and flooding so I haven't been able to plant any beans yet. I like to plant my beans alphabetically within their type so now I can plant the new beans in their proper order. And yes, I know that's weird but I find it easier to keep track of them that way!

NancyJ10x

Leafing Out
Reaction score
And thank you Marshall for the information on the Badda beans. I always like the story behind the beans. It makes collecting them so much more interesting.

Last edited:

NancyJ10x

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Russ - I got your seeds yesterday. Thank you so much. I can hardly wait to get them planted!

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi @NancyJ10x !

Very glad to hear that you finally got the beans. I just thought they would have gotten to you sooner. I send beans to a grower in Kentucky and they get them in just two days. Is it time to plant yet by you? I won't be putting seed in the ground here until almost the 1st of June.