2015 Little Easy Bean Network - Old Beans Should Never Die !

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 Oh you got the Kishwaukee twins back together, that is great news. Does the green have a stable seed coat color?

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi @Hal,

No the Kiswaukee Green does the same thing the KY does throws off a tan seeded one and a black seed coated one. Plants and pods look the same too.

Reactions: Hal

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi @Hal,

No the Kiswaukee Green does the same thing the KY does throws off a tan seeded one and a black seed coated one. Plants and pods look the same too.
That is interesting that two beans are pretty much stable in all respects but throw different seed colors. I wonder if repeating the cross would bring about the same results.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
In the very early days of my bean growing I was only growing a few varieties. I think I can name them all my memory. Tendergreen, Topcrop, Tendercrop. These three had mottled seed coats. All three just a little different coloration. The tan seeded one called Contender. Cherokee Wax (jet black seed). Top Notch Golden Wax, Comtesse de Chambord (white seeded bean). A red Kidney called California Kidney, White Kidney, a round white seeded bean called Purley King, and Pinto. A total of 11 beans for about the first two years. The Kishwaukee bean was found among Cherokee wax. I can remember growing Contender close by. When I found Kishwaukee I only found the black and tan mottled seed coat. I called it just Kishwaukee at the beginning. The next year when I planted it. I discovered the yellow pods and green pods. Harvested seed seperately from the yellow poded bean and the green poded ones, and found they both produced the three seed coats. That's when the names became Kishwaukee Yellow and Kishwaukee Green. I have always planted just the mottled seed coats trying to make those the representative seed coat of those two beans.

The way the seed colors segregated I have always suspected Contender may have been the male plant.

Last edited:

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'd suspect since one of the seed coats looks like Cherokee Wax and one looks like Contender that it is more than a coincidence. I'm not sure if commercially available Cherokee Wax here is the real deal. I have Contender and am considering repeating the cross out of sheer curiosity to see if this is repeatable.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you need some Cherokee Wax let me know I got the real thing here for sure. Plus we need to figure out a way for you to get FPJ.

Reactions: Hal

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you need some Cherokee Wax let me know I got the real thing here for sure. Plus we need to figure out a way for you to get FPJ.
Thank you for the offer, I got lucky and between the last post and this one managed to get a packet that was the real deal courtesy of a small organic seed supplier whom I forgot had a small rack at a local store.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
Candy did well for me last year. hoping it will be a repeat this year. so far only a few other varieties are doing ok for me this year. i have Louisiana Purple Pod growing and it seems to enjoy the extra rain this year. found it was growing up the tomato cages i use for my snow peas tonight. the Christmas Limas are also doing ok. i found 2 of the 10 Shortwave Sunshine are growing when i thought they all weren't going to make it.

i figured if we were going to have a rainy June i would just get a few beans of each started in pots and gently transplant them out when they're growing strongly to survive what Mother Nature is throwing at them! i have some more Shortwave Sunshine growing strongly in those pots.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I checked the big bean plot of 163 varieties yesterday and the new seed I filled in is all coming up and healthier looking than the first planting. It didn't really seem as if the weather was any warmer, but could have been slightly drier. That might have made the difference. No so water logged soil. The local deer made a visit again and chomped on some beans. I wish she would stay away. She usually loses interest in the beans when they reach a certain level of maturity. I don't know if the taste changes, the beans plants simply get tougher than the deer likes them, or she just doesn't happen to come around for the season anymore.

Last edited:

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I checked the big bean plot of 163 varieties yesterday and the new seed I filled in is all coming up and healthier looking than the first planting. It didn't really seem as if the weather was any warmer, but could have been slightly drier. That might have made the difference. No so water logged soil. The local deer made a visit again and chomped on some beans. I wish she would stay away. She usually loses interest in the beans when they reach a certain level of maturity. I don't know if the taste changes, the beans plants simply get tougher than the deer likes them, or she just doesn't happen to come around for the season anymore.
Sounds like you need some bean fed deer and beef stew.