2015 Little Easy Bean Network - Old Beans Should Never Die !

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi @aftermidnight,

I don't know how many seeds you got from your UK friend, but you might want to send me maybe half of them if there a quite a few. I have an import liscense from the USDA. I will send you a label that you will tape with clear packaging tape to the envelope, and the set of instructions that you will follow. This should ensure that the seeds will get to me without a US customs official confiscating the seeds. Also many thanks for doing this. Let me know how much your mailing costs you and I can send you some cash in the mail.

I also need to get one of these labels and set of instructions off to @Hal.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 , I didn't count but my guess there's about 100. You can have most of them, I'll keep a dozen for my seed stash, not that I will ever grow them myself but someone else up my way might be looking for them. Don't worry about sending postage, you found "Selma Star" for me which we thought to be extinct, I was over the moon about that. You know the old saying, "What goes around comes around".
I don't know how old this seed is so it might be a good idea to do a germination test, the friend who sent them to me got them from someone else.
I know you go south for the winter so.... I'll let you know when the label arrives, you can then let me know if you want them sent right away or wait until spring. I take it you still have my snail mail addy :).

Annette

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi @aftermidnight,

A seed permit label and instruction pages are on the way to you and I've sent one to @Hal also. You will have to break up the seeds into several packets. It will be interesting to see this work and how long it takes for the package once it leaves your hands.

Reactions: Hal

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi @aftermidnight,

A seed permit label and instruction pages are on the way to you and I've sent one to @Hal also. You will have to break up the seeds into several packets. It will be interesting to see this work and how long it takes for the package once it leaves your hands.
Thank you sir.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Hal,

Although my seed harvest from my large bean plot was very meager. I did harvest more seeds of the Keeny's Stringless than what you had originally sent. So I will grow those next year in a new location. It was the Charlettown that I didn't get any seed from. The deer just ate the plants down to far and to often for them to mature any dry pods.

And @sea-kangaroo,

I was collecting a few seeds from the grow out of Neil Lash's Kishwaukee Yellow seeds yesterday and I noticed one plant had two small pods on it and I opened them and they were the Pied Python seeds. Now I know that the Kishwaukee seed I have of Neil's will produce that Pied pattern, and I have more of that Neil Lash seed. So I'll plant more of them next year and see how many of the Pied pattern I can bleed out of those Kishwaukee seeds. I hope there will be a few seeds that will produce those Pied beans.

Last edited:

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Hal,

Although my seed harvest from my large bean plot was very meager. I did harvest more seeds of the Keeny's Stringless than what you had originally sent. So I will grow those next year in a new location. It was the Charlettown that I didn't get any seed from. The deer just ate the plants down to far and to often for them to mature any dry pods.

And @sea-kangaroo,

I was collecting a few seeds from the grow out of Neil Lash's Kishwaukee Yellow seeds yesterday and I noticed one plant had two small pods on it and I opened them and they were the Pied Python seeds. Now I know that the Kishwaukee seed I have of Neil's will produce that Pied pattern, and I have more of that Neil Lash seed. So I'll plant more of them next year and see how many of the Pied pattern I can bleed out of those Kishwaukee seeds. I hope there will be a few seeds that will produce those Pied beans.
I'll get some more seed produced for you, glad the Keeney's made it through though.

NancyJ10x

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Russ - I have seeds of most of the beans. Fanoman has not produced any viable seeds yet and since we are a couple of weeks away from expected frost date, I don't think I will get any. Badda di Polizzi Blanda Long Seeded produced 17 seeds that are viable but they don't look exactly like the picture of the seed. They are lacking the definite pinkish orange coloration on the top half. Flor de Mayo, Yoeme Pastel Eye and Dow Purple Pod were all good climbers but didn't outgrow my 4 foot trellis. They have all produced good seeds. Wren's Egg is a nice compact bush bean and produced a lot of pods and good seeds. Pink Podded Bugundy Bolita is also a bush bean though not as compact as Wren's Egg. It has already produced dry beans which is amazing as they weren't planted until the middle of July. I have at least 25 seeds of everything except Fanoman and Badda di Polizzi. I'm going on vacation next week but I will try to get them mailed to you the week after that. I'm not sure I have your address. Would you please email it to me at mikej10x@diodecom.net.

Latest posts