2015 Little Easy Bean Network - Old Beans Should Never Die !

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry. I didn't know. There are alot so I'll send along the naturally dried ones. DH was taking down the deer fencing, so I thought I was saving the pods from the herds of deer here on the golf course. I know better now! Thanks!!

Just checked. I've got more than 30 seeds of this variety that I did collect dry in the pods. They are now packaged with the remaining 3 original seeds you sent.

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi @murphysranch,

Got your seed returns yesterday, and all the seed looked pretty nice. I was concerned when you said you had picked those purple pods raw. I wasn't sure what was going on. You must have gotten most of your dry seed before you picked those raw purple pods. I suppose those Purple King's just kept producing over such a long season and you decided you wanted to close out your garden for the year so you picked the last of your purple pods and they just happen to still be raw. I think I get it now.

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Also just as a reminder if you have already returned your new grown out seed for 2015 you may pick the seed you wish to grow in 2016 now, and I'll send it out soon.

Last edited:

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll wait until you start the 2016 thread and see what's available and how you are setting it up. I assume there will be a new thread?

You can see quite a few of the beans up for adoption now if you go to the website's special Little Easy Bean Network page here.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey,
@Bluejay77 !

img_20151113_063854705-jpg.10035

Way out on the summer harvest pages, she has a picture of some dry beans. They are @Bluejay77 's!

Steve :D
That post is from here: LINK

PhilaGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
By the caption, those were Owen Bridge's harvest at Annapolis Seeds ; he used to carry this variety (it remains popular in Canada) among many interesting offerings. Those probably were dried on tarps or screens and then stored for threshing - if one tries to dry down seed in buckets like that you can get mold problems.

If folks don't know the story behind the Blue Jay Bean, it is on Bluejay77's site. :)

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey,
@Bluejay77 !

img_20151113_063854705-jpg.10035

That post is from here: LINK

Hi @digitS',

I can see the caption under the photo of the book or magazine this came from. Yes Annapolis Seeds in Nova Scotia is one of more than 15 small heritage seed companies in Canada that sell Blue Jay. When I ran into my Blue Jay bean on the internet 4 years ago I was just amazed and thrilled. Two more of my original varieties can be found being sold on the internet also. Pawnee, and Candy. I had listed Pawnee in the SSE yearbook for the first time in 1982. I had stopped gardening and stopped listing beans in the SSE yearbook after the 1989 season for 22 years. The info about my original varieties also of course was no longer being listed. So after a number of years new members came along and older ones dropped off the radar screen, and the newer members didn't have the older yearbooks so they had no idea of what the origin of some of these beans was. If you google Pawnee shell bean see what comes up. Then compare it to Pawnee on my website. A solid brown seeded bean called Brown Kidney that I got from Wanigan Associates in 1980 is the seed mother of Pawnee.

I sent Owen Bridge of Annapolis seeds in 2014 a number of my original beans that are not sold commercially, but Owen never acknowledged receiving them. So I don't know if they will ever show up in the Annapolis seed offerings. They were Dalmatian, Pawnee, Black & White Goose, Illinois Wild Goose, Illinois Wax, Illinois Snap, Red Sport, Choctaw, Evening Moon, Buffy, and a snap variety from Germany called Junin. Owen had sent me one of his original outcrossed beans called Marvel Of Nictaux.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
15+ Canadian seed companies!!

Both the Annapolis seed company and the author of the book are in Nova Scotia.

I should go out and see if my volunteer bean is still alive in the greenhouse bed.

;) Steve

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah I was making a list of the Canadian companies that sell Blue Jay for fun one time. I'll see if I can find it on my computer somwhere and type all names of those companies here. I ran accross another one just recently that I hadn't known about, but didn't mark it down. Maybe I'll do this tomorrow.

The very first seed company ever to sell Blue Jay was a now defunct Amercian company from Pennsylvania in the early or mid 90's called Fox Hollow.

Last edited: