2015 Little Easy Bean Network - Old Beans Should Never Die !

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Should I direct sow or start indoors? I'm trying to figure out my indoor starts and need to plan ahead (8ish weeks till last frost!!)

I would direct sow beans after the weather warms nicely. 8 weeks for you is about middle of April. I would plant your beans then three weeks after your last expected frost. Tha would put you at about the first week of May.

Transplanting beans can be tricky. Fine root hairs can be damaged easily. Also when you direct sow beans they don't need any hardening off to the sunlight. They get used to it right from the start, and they are already in place where they get the most hours of sun all day so they don't grow thin and spindly.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I direct seed my blue lake bush beans, the ones I count on for early green beans. When I get good germination from them, I know the ground is warm enough to germinate beans. That's when I plant Bluejay's beans.

sea-kangaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
San Francisco Bay Area (zone 9, Sunset 15)
Like Russ says, beans don't like being transplanted all that much, but if you're trying to stretch your season you can start the seeds inside and then plunk them in the ground right as soon as they sprout. I do that a lot myself. It gives them a head start (the plants will grow at lower temperatures than the seeds will sprout at) but doesn't damage the roots since at that time the root is just a tiny point with no root hairs or side roots. Doesn't work with limas, though, since the young plants of those need heat to get established properly.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've started beans in peat pots before when I only had a couple precious seeds to work with and was scared something might get them. I let them grow a bit, but not more than about 3-4" tall with a pair or two or real leaves. I peeled off the sides of the peat pot (keep the soil intact) and very gently planted them and even put a cottage cheese container with the bottom cut out around them like a shield so bunnies and such wouldn't get them.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i think the idea of planting those longer season beans in a biodegradable pot is a good idea. even if they are homemade pots from newspaper would probably give them a good start. you wouldn't be disturbing much of the roots with them if all you do is plop the whole pot into the ground when ready to do so. or plant them in a large pot like a gallon sized landscape pot.

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Russ hope you are well. I'd like to get a few beans for this year only 1 or 2 I will be growi g out or raised beds 92nd the trellis are ready
Glad to be enjoying the forums again.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi @1honeycomb,

I'm fine thanks. I"ll be heading home late next week. If you want to email me your growing preferences at upadam@comcast.net. I'll mail your beans out shortly after I get home. I'll also be putting up a bunch of outcross pole beans to grow if you want to wait to see what I list on the new 2016 thread. That's the scoop for now you can decide.

Didn't you grow beans with us last year? If not I'm glad your back.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi @murphysranch,

I will miss your help this year. Sure hope you will be back in 2017. You can still join in the commentary on the thread.

Are you going to buy a place with more gardening ground? Hope you find a new place you will enjoy a lot !

Latest posts