2015 Little Easy Bean Network - Old Beans Should Never Die !

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well holy hilium @sea-kangaroo incredible, beautiful new outcrosses. Just an eye popping gorgeous little fashion show you put on today. I really like the first three photos of your really blue looking beans. The ones from Maggies Cresent and Skunk. If you get up enough seed of those I would like to trade something with you for those. Only when you get a good quantity of seed grown though.

I would be willing to bet the fellow in Illinois who has a goodly number of beans in his collection and who's beans produce a pretty good number of outcrosses is Seed Savers Exchange member Don Kellums from Port Byron. Gonna have to start buying up more beans from Neil Lash too. Anyway did I guess the person correctly?

sea-kangaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
San Francisco Bay Area (zone 9, Sunset 15)
You sure did, @Bluejay77! And lol @ holy hilum. :D Have you gotten things from him before? I actually had couple other crosses from seed from him. Skunk/Flagg also made some solid black, flattish seeds, and Maggie's Crescent also made this one here:
18896036522_68ef5bb939_n.jpg%22%20width=%22320%22%20height=%22283%22

Which I like, but it will have to wait for another year. I got Blue Shackamaxon from Neil Lash as well, and that's made at least one funny one every year since. Some "wild-type" streaky ones (which I ate) and couple of pretty solids-- a very dark rich maroon, and a bright blue one the color of blueberries in a muffin. Those both dried black so I wouldn't have noticed if I'd waited until the pods were crispy brown to harvest (lots of dew here so I have to harvest yellow or the seeds get moldy in the pods).
18279172134_0465023ebf_m.jpg%22%20width=%22240%22%20height=%22191%22
18875447056_1c6d2d34ce_m.jpg%22%20width=%22240%22%20height=%22206%22

At the end of last season my Skunk-descendant plants got anthracnose so after that I stopped seed-saving and ate the results instead, and they were excellent shellies. Very pretty (bright navy blue/purple at that stage) and very tasty, so they ought to be keepers once I get them settled, and then I'll be quite happy to share!

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh Wow @sea-kangaroo this other looker you got from Maggies Cresent is a handsome bean too. Would like to trade for that one someday also.

Sure ain't nothin like this stuff on TV this summer. This is a Triple A show.

I have gotten some things from Don Kellums before that have kicked out crosses. Although most times when I send him a payment and a request sheet. I have a hard time getting most of the things I request from him at all. This past season he just said he had surgery last fall and couldn't fill my request that I had sent to him in February. Two years ago I requested in February after I got my SSE yearbook and I got nothing that year as he said I gotta request early. I requested right after the yearbook came out. I guess I gotta watch his online listings and get to him in the autumn.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm an aggravated gardener today. I planted @sea-kangaroo's Pied Python June 4th and none of them will be growing at all this year. They all rotted as did about 2/3 of the over 2,000 seeds I planted. I waited purposely until June 3rd and 4th to plant anything. Then we got days and days of rain and overcast. I guess there just wasn't enough sun heating up the soil to get good germination on my bean seed.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, my goodness, Bluejay77! That's a terrible thing to happen. You've had a bit more rain than I have, but still close. Could you replant in raised hills? My raised beds tend to keep the water from settling in.

And shucks, after Friday "THEY" are predicting most of the next week with rain, at least for here.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hate to hear that, @Bluejay77 . That is something I have to watch out for too, getting too much rain and the clay soil doesn't drain fast enough some years. I started my special or limited quantity beans indoors in peat pots, but those I have plenty of I'll put right out in the garden.

We've had thunderstorms and rain for days now. Forecast says it will go on like that for most of the next 10-days. I went out and pulled weeds today anyway. I couldn't bear to look at all that pigweed, grown taller than my tomatoes. :\

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
rain has been a nuisance here too. i have to replant some of the Shortwave Sunshine you sent me. i haven't seen any coming up. a few other beans are struggling too. but the Candy and Christmas Lima seem to be enjoying the weather for some reason.

Latest posts