2015 Little Easy Bean Network - Old Beans Should Never Die !

sea-kangaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
San Francisco Bay Area (zone 9, Sunset 15)
I've been hovering impatiently over my outcross beans growling "ripen! ripen!" and today the first ones did and I am pleased as punch! Here are two of the children of the cross I was calling Blossom Valley back in post #277:

18993580584_35b0fda68a.jpg
19428127348_77ea828d6b_n.jpg

The ones on the left don't have the streaking of their parent but are beauties anyway, and the ones on the right got harvested young but look like they have their parent's pattern and color! :woot I know they look a lot more white than the original, but beans grown in my yard often end up with a different white:color ratio than "reality," so I'm pretty certain they came true. Here's a side-by-side of Giant Red Tarka seeds to show what I mean; left ones were grown in Wisconsin and right ones were grown by me (there's some Jacob's Cattle looming in on the left, too; ignore those):
18993764824_b00bbc515e_n.jpg

And one of the few Pied Python plants that made it all the way through bad germination, drought, and stupid neighbor cats has a few fat pods that are nearly in the shelly stage, so with just a bit more luck that line will get to continue as well. There's still many months left in the season here, so I'll be able to plant a second round of beans with my results from all of these. They've all been bush plants so far so that makes it easy.

And to top it off, I got a weirdo in my row of Fort Portal Jade:
19620529771_4e61854c94.jpg

Happy summer!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh! (Sudden facebook recognition!)

Fort Portal Jade outcross!!!

ohhhhhhhhh, get as many seeds from that as possible!

Also, those beans in the second from the top photo have a beautiful subtle look to them, with that bluish/purplish shade so unique, and i hope that those stabilize like that!

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you had gotten your original FPJ seed from either Richter's or Joseph Simcox himself, I have a clue as to what the other parent could be (with that many differences, I'm almost sure we are looking at a cross.) I'd imagine this might be the pollen donor http://seedzoo.proboards.com/board/12/tiger-bean. But since I assume you either got your seed from Russ (who if I recall, got it from Germany) or this came from seed you yourself grew some previos year.

But it is a very impressive bean, don't think I've ever seen the like. The colors are practically indecent (actually if you haven't picked a name, given the parent how about "Ugandan Discussion" ;) (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recurring_in-jokes_in_Private_Eye)

sea-kangaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
San Francisco Bay Area (zone 9, Sunset 15)
Haha, I'm learning all kind of euphemisms today! I posted the FPJ photo on a facebook bean group and someone asked if they were a result of "stepping out." :gigIt does look rather lurid!

I got my seed from Germany and this is the first year I've grown it, so the cross would've happened over there. I've messaged them to ask if they have any idea about the possible father. I wonder if the heavy streaking might just be the "wild type" pattern for beans; I think I've read some speculation about that on here before and it would certainly line up with my experiences. There're enough months left in the growing season here that I should be able to get a crop out of these weirdos, so perhaps the F2 will shed some light on possible parentage.

Last edited:

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@sea-kangaroo Okay the left photo of your Blossom Valley segregates is just amazing! Please take another photo after they have dried down for a while so we can see their final color.

Your extra white seems to be the result of climate and soil something @Bluejay77 and I have noticed quite commonly with Jacob's Cattle, Smith River Super Speckle and the like.
If I were to grow any of these during my summer they would likely be close to solid red but if I had them growing as a super early or super late crop the white would be far more dominant.

Treat those FPJ segregates like gold as you could possibly get a different shape or pattern with the parent color which would be quite stunning!

NancyJ10x

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Wow! Those are wonderful looking beans. I may have to get my husband to plow up more garden area this fall.
I have plants growing of all the seeds I received except the Pink Podded Burgundy Bolita. Nothing germinated from it. I have two seeds left that I will try in a pot. The Badda, Dow Purple Pod, Fanoman and Flor De Mayo only have 1-3 plants growing because the rest floated away in our early flood. Wrens Egg and Yeome have several plants growing.

teamneu

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I didn't realize I hadn't been here in so long, but here's my update.

The Wren's Egg have lots of pods and are doing well.

The Zambezi #2 have had blooms for a while, but i hadn't seen any beans until yesterday when I spotted some itty-bitty ones about 1" long.

The Imbotyi Mbayiyana beans are the overachievers of the group. I took in 5 plants last Sunday to hang & dry further which will yield my quota of seeds to return, thankfully. In the meantime, we had the rain that broke the camel's back. This Friday, I checked them and most of the IMs had sprouted in the pods (and most weren't even directly on the ground). There are a few undamaged plants. So Saturday, I planted all the sprouted beans, hoping they will grow. There were hundreds. :(
On the bright side the IM has been the best bean I had going this year as far as rust resistance. I picked one for a snap and determined it is a string bean. Then it went into the pot with other kinds, so I assume it tasted fine, too.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@sea-kangaroo I especially like all the blue ones in your post #277, and the the blue ones in your recent post here #371. It will be interesting to see what they all do in the future. I agree with Hal. Take pictures of them again when they have become dry and hard in about two weeks. That will be their true color.

LonghornGardens

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Are the wren's egg pole or bush? I got some pole wren's egg from an Amish feller, but when reading about them I saw that there was a lot of stuff out there about the bush wren's eggs.

Latest posts