1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Flower Show
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

2016 Little Easy Bean Network - Gardeners Keeping Heirloom Beans From Extinction

Discussion in 'Fruits & Vegetables' started by Bluejay77, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Dec 18, 2016
    Tricia77

Tricia77 Garden Ornament

Russ I love the purple and white WB#21 you grew. You really got some nice growouts from your WB seeds. Ridgerunner you also grew some nice looking beans from your WB growouts. I think my WB growouts produced pretty pods but the beans weren't all that pretty.

2. Dec 18, 2016
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Garden Master

Oh, piddle. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I thought your beans were very attractive. Just wait until Russ posts photos of them on his website, he's very good with a camera and lighting, showing them off to their best. I didn't especially like some of mine, still don't some of them, but they generally look a lot better in sunlight than artificial light. And some were outstanding. And just think, until you grew them no one else in the world had ever grown those beans. Now, thanks to you, people have a chance to grow them.

Tricia77 likes this.
  3. Dec 19, 2016
    Bluejay77

Bluejay77 Garden Addicted

The Big Bean Show - Day #61

(Photo Top Left) is a segregation of an outcross I found in African Premier in 2013. After growing it out again this year it threw off one segreation (Photo Top Right). Neither bean has been named. (Photo Bottom Left) is a white bean that I call "White Lion". This bean came out of a Goose Cranberry segregation after I grew some outcrossed seed from "Goose Cranberry" in 2014. This year only one "White Lion" plant survived some very dry and hot conditions and it gave me back white seed. If you are ever in St. Augustine, Florida and go to the place where Cathedral Place meets the Mantanzas River by the "Bridge Of Lions" You will see the statue of the white Lion that was the inpiration for this beans name. It's funny how something can just pop into your head in an instant. (Photo Bottom Right) is an outcross from a Danish bean called "Prinsesse". I got "Prinsesse" from Soren Holt of the Danish Seed Savers in Denmark.

Wondermere.jpg Wondermere Seg #1.jpg
    "Segregation related to "African Premier"....... another "African Premier" related segregation

White Lion.jpg Yellow Jacket.jpg
    "White Lion"....................................................outcross from "Prinsesse"

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    Tricia77 likes this.
  4. Dec 19, 2016
    Bluejay77

Bluejay77 Garden Addicted

Want to thank everyone who participated in bean grow outs in 2016. Hope all of you will be back to grow out beans again next year in 2017.

"Merry Christmas To All Of You"

journey11 and Tricia77 like this.
  5. Dec 19, 2016
    Tricia77

Tricia77 Garden Ornament

It was a pleasure participating in the bean grow out this year! I had a lot of fun growing and harvesting the beans. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!!!

6. Dec 19, 2016
    aftermidnight

aftermidnight Garden Addicted

Same here, it was fun. Wishing all of you a very Merry Christmas and the best gardens ever in 2017.

Annette

7. Dec 19, 2016
    journey11

journey11 Garden Master

Merry Christmas everyone and may 2017 be a productive year in the garden for you all!

I told my 4-year-old not to "spill the beans" on her daddy's present, so now she thinks he's getting beans for Christmas. Were it me, I would be delighted, lol.

Tricia77 and Ridgerunner like this.
  8. Dec 19, 2016
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Garden Master

Russ, enjoy your time off, I'll be chatting with you next spring.