2017 Little Easy Bean Network – Everything Beans, Post It Here & Join The Fun

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi, Pole Bean grower here. Seven years ago I was given 10 Scarlet Runner beans, I have gotten enough seed to grow a privacy wall for my patio for five years now. Some of the seeds are albino's (creamy white base with dark mottling, instead of the purple) which flower with a paler shade than the purple seed. They produce both color beans. Was wondering if anyone knew if that is a common thing for them. I did try to grow the white ones separately last year but they easily could have been cross pollinated with the others.
It's too late in the year for me to plant, short season for pole beans and my pots are already planted, so I have lots of time to study and plan for next spring... and now I have seen the beans here!

My Bean and Nasturtium Wall (2014, a good year):
View attachment 20277 View attachment 20279View attachment 20280
What's under all that... (2015):
View attachment 20278
(2016, not a good year, no pic)

I think it would be fun to have a different type bean in each pot (6 to 8 per pot), would this work? I know they would grow but would there be any hope for any 'true seed' for the following year? I can see even self-pollinators having a problem with cross pollination with this kind of density...
It is just a 'hobby wall', privacy is it's main function and the honey bees/hummingbirds do love the red flowers. I grow Kentucky Wonder pole beans in the veggie garden.
I use to grow beans up in front of my big front glass window to shade it in the summer. Neighbors were constantly stopping and ask me what kind of flowers they were because they wanted to plant some. Beautiful!

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@reedy,

I haven't so far put any chicken wire around my big wire fence. Rabbits don't seem to be a problem in the rural areas around here, but the deer are the problem in the country. In town in the city limits rabbits are all over the place so I fenced in my back yard. No more rabbits.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Quick question

A lot of my beans have ended up podding way earlier than expected, and so on plants way shorter than expected (as in , to the point where those pods (which are still only half grown) are dangerously close to ground level. What happens when they hit it? Will they just bend out or stop growing longer, or do I have to worry about them actually eventually snapping in half from the pressure? I know the stems will bend up a little, but if the pods are only like half size at the moment they'd have to be almost parallel to the plant to cover the difference, and that would seem to be asking for a snap off as well. I'd be tempted to dig little troughs under the pods to give them more room, but that would probably cut through most of the plants roots.

I don't like the pods touching the ground because they can get moldy and rot. Shouldn't break though, just contort. Maybe put some clean straw under them.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
20170621_161007.jpg

Close one on the Blue & White of Bernardo! 2 of the 4 came up and look how ugly those cotyledons are. They are making new leaves at the tips though. (the 2 in the very center)

All 4 of Hilo Laotian Lady lima came up, but they're a little funky looking. Should do better once I plant them out tomorrow. (the four pots furthest right)

I think I have a couple more Cottontail left to fill in. (bottom left 5) I wanted to have 5 of each where I could. Muffet is looking good.(top left 5)

Chester and Soisson's Large White went in the garden directly sown since I had enough for back up on them. They came up fine.

Last edited:

Tricia77

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am not growing any varieties this year for the network, however I thought I would share some photos of the varieties I have growing. I have many more to plant this weekend if the weather cooperates.

Bush Beans:
Keewatin
Fejer Green
Conserva
Arnold Snap
34622699334_9552e15fc0.jpg
Untitled[/url] by Tricia Rosamilia, on Flickr[/IMG]

Pole varieties from Italy growing on a bamboo teepee:
Brutt e Bou
Red Cargamento
Baracaffe
Fagiolo Zampognaro
Munchedda Chiara
Munachedda Nera
35464139815_1e5900b650.jpg
Untitled[/url] by Tricia Rosamilia, on Flickr[/IMG]

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have not paid attention to my garden lately. We have been pushing hard to finish the outer parameter fence. We finally have our place enclosed and it is such a feeling of relief and satisfaction.

It has rained often enough that I didn't need to water. The only thing producing right now is zucchini and we've had enough of that so I didn't care if it grew to firewood logs.

We slaughtered a hog yesterday and will do #2 Friday. Then #3 and we'll be done. The pigs rooted up the rabbit protection fence......you know where is going, right? I am sickened.

All 3 varieties of beans look like this. I had timed it thinking I would be picking beans right about now. Rabbits have chewed every plant down to the stems.

View attachment 20221

They ate every okra plant also. I had 4 rows ready to bloom, now I have stumps.

View attachment 20222

Rabbits didn't touch anything else in the garden. Yet.

I will replace the chicken wire I put on the 2"x4" horse wire after we get the pigs gone. And hopefully the beans will grow back. The okra would be nice too.

@baymule any luck with those beans growing back? At ten days you should be seeing something.

I've had some issues too. A cutworm cut off a Raspberry Ripple that was growing as a bush. It left a bud just below the cut and it looks like I may get something off of it, but probably not much. Raspberry Ripple was a pole last year so this plant is a new variety. Maybe the experts will correct me but I look on bush beans as similar to determinate tomatoes, limited growth and most production in a fairly short time period, though the production can drag out if you keep green beans picked. So "pruning" a bush bean like this is not good at all. Pole beans would be more like indeterminate, sending out suckers and keep growing, especially if you keep the green beans picked off. I think that this was a bush hurt more than if it had been a pole.

I had a rabbit bite off the top of a Miss T. I need to get a photo of this one soon, it has kind of a strange growth habit. It sent out two suckers under the cut but it is also a bush type, while last year Miss T was a pole. I still have hopes of a decent amount of beans from this one. It's already blooming.

Then yesterday I saw where another Miss T that was part of my replant had been chewed a lot like yours. The leaves were gone but the stems were still there. It's a lot younger than yours were when yours were chewed so I have hopes.

I did manage to trap both of those rabbits. We had a different thread on here recently about what do you do if you find babies. Both of these were babies, they had not been weaned very long. You can guess what I do with those cute babies.

Tricia77

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I forgot to mention I am also growing my "Bubblegum" pole bean from last years grow out. They are in the first row on the right next to the bush beans I posted up above.

Latest posts