2017 Little Easy Bean Network – Everything Beans, Post It Here & Join The Fun

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Update... they are the real deal, no cotyledons:thumbsup.
Going out in the greenhouse today, planted out next week.
DSCN7275.JPG

Beanfan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I wanted to be sure to get the network beans to germinate and grow well so I soaked them and planted them in pots under lights. They grew much faster than the beans I planted outdoors, they are in the planting tray and the beans behind them in the ground were started earlier but are much smaller and not yet reaching out.

Attachments

• Network beans.jpeg
    Network beans.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 219

Beanfan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I am sad to say that my 6 bush bean and 4 rice bean varieties I purchased from Azure Dandelion have completely failed to sprout even a single bean. I am done with ordering from them, I read their website and they don't offer replacements. I am planting my former saved bush beans to replace them- Yer Fasulyasi, Blue Ribbon, Cline's Potato Patch, Tendergreen, Marconi Nano, and Stolfus. My pole beans have come up very well and look great, and I am so impressed with the rapid growth of the network beans that I started in pots under lights that next year I may be starting quite a lot of beans that way, especially some of the long growth season beans that were hard to get dry seed from last year. One more advantage of growing in pots was that I saw a couple of beans with roots coming up out of the soil instead of the cotyledons, so I was able to knock them out and turn them over, out in the garden I wouldn't even notice.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Another candidate would be some sorts of peas. There is a trait called the "caterpillar" or "chenille" pea where the peas sit very closely together in the pod, so they apress each other as they grow (basically the same thing as some beans have, or crowder cow peas). In REALLY extreme cases this can result in peas that are more or less perfect cylinders. It's been a long time (during my college days) since I saw peas that extreme, but they do exist.

i know this is an old thread but i was looking for something else and came across this post so...

i grew some peas a few years ago that did exactly this. i kept them since they were so interesting. :)

Latest posts