2017 Little Easy Bean Network – Everything Beans, Post It Here & Join The Fun

thejenx

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thank you both. I'm really enjoying the threads, so far I've read back from 2015, 16 and this year's. Ive just started with 2013.
My favourite post is from Russ, where he buys 4 pounds of beans for soup but spreads all the beans out first and finds 3 different kinds of beans which starts loads of new bean segregations! :clap

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum @thejenx so happy to have you here! Alas! I have no beans to show off this year, just as they were making bean pods, rabbits mowed them to the ground. :hit I hoped the sticks would sprout back out, but they died. Rabbits also got my okra. :he Growing new beans from @Bluejay77 is always fun and you get to contribute to old varieties being kept alive and growing. Some of the beans are so pretty, they should be jewelry! :love This is a wonderful forum and I can't wait to hear more about you and your garden!

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi @sea-kangaroo,

Yep those limas are from the guy that has a large lima collection. He doesn't grow any other kind of bean. He is crazy about limas. I hope all these turn out well this summer. Not every seed I planted came up, and out of the ones that did emerge. Rabbits did a little chewing on some of them. I've got a rabbit fence erected now so what is growing should do well I'm hoping.

reedy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
SE Indiana on a narrow ridge above the Ohio River
My Refugee beans and both of my network grow out beans will be drying down for seed soon, although Refugee especially seems to be continuing to bloom and set new pods. The others are too but to a much less degree. Had some problems on earlier with spots on the pods from bugs although I never did see the bugs. They are worst on Crystal Wax. Even so it looks like I'll have plenty of seed form the later nicely clean pods. I mentioned before some variation in foliage within individual varieties, I'm curious to see if that shows up in the seeds.

I'll post some pictures when they are ready to pick and dry.

thejenx

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yesterday i finally cleaned up my seed drawer and founs my Golden Teepee beans that i thought I'dd lost or got mixed up with other beans. :weee
Two years ago I started with 12 beans, bad germination, only one plant survived. Last year two plants, and now i have almost 60 beans. It's too late in my season to grow them for seed outdoors. Will it work trying to grow them in the greenhouse?

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thejenx, I don't know if there is enough season left to grow beans for their seed. If you have a greenhouse available to you I suppose you could risk two seeds and see if you can grow them to seed maturity. Two plants could give you a fairly decent amount of seed, but I wouldn't risk a lot of my seed at this point in the year.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bean Mail Time Again. Some beans that have arrived recently in the mail. These are all from a fellow in Kentucky that is going to school to learn to be a plant breeder. He collects a lot of corn varieties, but also collects a substantial number of beans. Some of them he passes some of the seed to me after he grows them out.

Mbombo Green.jpg
"Mbombo Green". Green colored similar in shade to Fort Portal Jade. This one is suppossedly a full fledged pole bean from Kenya

Rwanda Rainbow.jpg
Pole bean. "Rwanda Rainbow". It's name gives away it's origin. I wonder if all the colors and patterns will grow true if grown out seperately.

Turkey #1.jpg
Pole Bean. "Turkey #1". It's name also gives away it's origin.

Kitoba.jpg
Kitoba. Pole bean. From Kenya.

Verde Tamuco.jpg
Pole Bean. "Verde Temuco" from Argentia.

Spotted Dog.jpg
Pole Lima. This is a real neat one called "Spotted Dog" from Peru.

Too late to grow them out here this year. Will try some of them in 2018.

thejenx

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow Russ, great beans! Rwanda Rainbow looks like it could be 5 or 6 different kinds. Really like the Spotted Dog lima's!

Also, i will definitely try to sow a few beans in the green house to try to get some more dry beans.

Latest posts