2017 Little Easy Bean Network – Everything Beans, Post It Here & Join The Fun

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thought I might as well post a pic of a pod of one of my experimental beans from pot #1 (which based on the appearance of the seed, I am calling Night Sky)
beanpod_zpscl3hneov.jpg
\
Note that the other side of the pod has almost no streaks (I guess they only show up on sides that are hit by direct sunlight)
Not sure yet, but there may be two kinds here (well, three if you count the two plants from pot #1 which were removed to make pot #3) as some of the plants seem to be making pods whose bumps seem too small and too close together for a bean as long of seed as Night Sky. Then again they may just be squashed (tellingly those seem to have the "wiggle" pod shape (bump bigger on one side, bump bigger on the other side) as opposed to the evenly shaped bumps normal).

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Pulsegleaner,

Nice looking pod on your experimental bean. Will be neat to see the resulting seed from that.

You can load pictures directly to your post here on the EasyGarden.com. Have you ever tried it? Use the "Upload a file" button and find the location of your photo. I've connected my camera to my computer and loaded pictures here directly from the camera. I think most or maybe all cameras take pictures in jpeg format.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If it's anything like the others (which I think include seed from the same exact plant) the seed will be dark purple with a sprinkling of white spots (which will darken to black and tannish red respectively as time passes). That's why I call it Night Sky (I would have called it Starry Night but I think there is already a bean called that and in any case, thanks to Van Gough, anyone hearing "Starry Night" will expect swirls of white, not spots.
nightsky.jpg

Tricia77

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My Bubblegum pole beans are growing nicely. They all have white flowers and producing the same shape pods with some pink striping. I'm hoping they turn completely pink again like last year. The bean beetles are terrible this year in my garden!!!!
Untitled by Tricia Rosamilia, on Flickr

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Tricia77,

Do you have Mexican bean beetles, or are they the Japanese beetles? We have the Japanese beetles here and this years crop is the smallest I've seen yet. However with all the rain we've had this year I'm wondering about 2018.

Did Bubblegum have white flowers last year? Mine are starting to produce pods. Some pods are about 4 inches long now. No sign of any red streaking yet. The pods look very flattened. The blossoms are white. I'm hoping for the bright pink pods. I'll have to post a photo of the Bubblegum I have later.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Tricia77's Bubblegum bean plants on July 3,2017
Bubble Gum 7-3-17.jpg

Bubblegum today on August 3, 2017. They have climbed about 2/3 of the way up their 6'2" poles. Look very healthy. Planted two poles worth of plants. 8 seeds planted. I think one didn't grow. Click on the photos you get a much bigger easier to see view of things.

Bubblegum 8-3-17-#2.jpg

However I don't see any coloration setting into the pods yet. I'm hoping for that nearly flourescent pink that made Tricia name this bean Bubblegum. White blossoms on all the plants and flattened green pods.

Bubblegum 8-3-17-#1.jpg

@Tricia77, if these pods stay green you want to pick another name for thise beans. They might be a nice flat podded snap bean. If they don't become bright pink will just have to try more of the seed next year.

Last edited:

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
The way I look at the names is that if the bean that grows from the seed is different it gets a new name. Only if the bean that grows from a seed is the same across all major parameters (bean coat color/pattern, growth habit, pod and flower color, and things I'm forgetting) would the name stick.

I'll use my Miss T #6 as an example. The bean looks like what I planted, the flower and pod are the same, but this one is a bush while last year's was a pole. So this one gets a new name. If one of my three Miss T's that are a pole produce the same bean with the same flower and pod the name Miss T will stick. Otherwise I come up with more new names.

I was reluctant last year to give a bean a name based on color or pattern but finally realized that if the color or pattern changes so will the bean name. I'm better prepared this year for that. I have been making a list of potential bean names since last year, I have a bunch. Now the beans just have to grow into those names.

Latest posts