2017 Little Easy Bean Network – Everything Beans, Post It Here & Join The Fun

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ninnymary,

Those beans started out as an outcross. I know because I was the one who sent them to her last year. So it's not guaranteed that all the seeds you get of those will all produce pink pods until they can be grown out enough times to become stable and set in that pattern. Tricia is part of my net work of growers who grow out and try sometimes old varieties and sometimes new outcrosses. I'm sure Tricia would be willing to send you some of those seeds. Just wanted to clue you in that not all those seeds of them you get might not all wind up giving those pink or fuschia pods.

Tricia77

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@ninnymary,
I can definitely send you some seeds to try, but like Russ said they might not be stable yet. I haven't tried tasting one yet. I can send you seed from this years crop once I start harvesting dry pods.

Tricia

thejenx

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Bluejay77
I was browsing your website and my eye spotted the Conserva bean since it is from my country. Did some research in availability and can't seem to find it in the sourches that I know that have a lot of beans in Europe. I did find some history of the bean.

Conserva z.dr.
Early bush bean, snap, grows compact, light green foliage, white flowering. Pods are oval shaped, lightly bent, fleshy, not stringy, green. Seeds little bit kidney shaped, narrow to oblong, weak rose marbled (flamed), little shine, 100 seeds ca. 30 grams.

Was marketed in 1925 by David Sachs (Quedlinburg) as "Konserva mit weiszgrundigen Bohnen o.F.". Cross from Alpha x Saxa. Besides Conserva z.dr. there is/was a Conservanda z.dr. which only difference was a white seed coat. A bean sample from Denmark Aladdin completely answered the description of Conserva z.dr.

http://www.deoerakker.nl/or/details/boon_Concerva_z._dr._Konserva_z._dr..pdf

Now I want to grow it!

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thejenx,

Thanks for posting the history information on "Conserva". I got it from a fellow by the name of Joseph Simcox who travels all over the world collecting plants and seeds, but he will never tell you anything about the beans he collects.

Tricia77

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am growing Conserva beans this year for another bean collector. Thanks for sharing the info.