2017 Little Easy Bean Network – Everything Beans, Post It Here & Join The Fun

reedy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
SE Indiana on a narrow ridge above the Ohio River
Wow, @Bluejay77 that is a lot of beans. I only have about a dozen kinds planted this year. I wish I had more space as I have several crosses I wold like to grow out, including a couple P. coccineus x P. vulgaris with interesting bluish colored seeds.

My only crossed grow out I'm doing this year is of some purplish speckled beans I found in my little brown greasy beans a couple years ago. I have no idea what they might have been crossed with but the color makes me think it may also have been P. coccineus.

My primary goal is to fill our jars with green beans and dry beans for the winter so I have to limit space devoted to experiments and curiosity.:(

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, please take lots of pictures. This was interesting. Of course all I know is bush and pole so these post were education for many of us. I have always thought beans were the perfect survival food. Easily grown, can be a green vegetable, a protein and easy to process. Dried, frozen, or canned for future meals. I have made many a veggie burger from different beans, chili, pasta sauce and of course beans and cornbread.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi @Ridgerunner,

Pole beans growth habit is 8 ft or more. Many pole beans will actually grow to 12 ft. or more. Half runners are the 4 to 6 ft catagory, and semi runners about 2 to 3 feet.

Love everyones Photos. I am also growing out Refugee this year. The last time i grew it out was 5 years ago in 2012.

Maybe I will put up a list of all the beans I have planted this year. Some are recent outcrosses from the last 5 year. I started planting finally some pole beans on June 3rd and 4th. On the 4th I planted a bunch of semi runners. June 5th planted about another 12 kinds of pole beans. Yesterday June 9th. I planted a 37 varieties bush beans, and 5 more pole beans. Today June 9th I will plant about 48 more varieties of bush beans. Tomorrow June 10th will finish up planting with 43 more varieties of bush beans. I think I'm close to about 180 kinds of beans this year.

:ep Wow, I can't imagine trying to keep track of that many! Is that quite a bit more than what you usually do? 40 is about my limit for the sake of my sanity. I planted mine in alphabetical order this year to make note-taking easier.

Got nearly all of mine in today. Just a couple rows of bush beans to go. I kept my list short this year as I wasn't sure how much gardening I was going to be able to do. Since things are getting back to normal, I may add a few more to my list, but these are what I have so far...

Pole Beans

Hilo Laotian Lady (lima)
Sam's Scarlet Runner
Brinker-Carrier
Alice Whitis
Anellino Giallo
Blue & White of Bernardo
Bosnian Pole
Bregenzer
Buxton Buckshot
Chester
Cottontail
Kim's Italian Flat Green
Muffet
Nickell
Sammy Bean
Soisson's Large White
White Creaseback
White Wax Pink Tip

Bush Beans
Pixie (one of the outcrosses I named last year)
Mountain Pima Burro & Caballito (sprawler)
Dapple Gray

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 , or anyone else, maybe you can shine a light on this one. We've had an enquiry from someone looking for any information on this bean, variety name if possible, I don't grow many bush beans so not much help, I know like looking for a needle in a haystack, but hey we might get lucky.
mystery bean to identify.jpg

Here's the description that came with the picture.

"The dried beans are patterned black and white and are just over 1
cm in length. They are fairly plump and not a flat bean. The black colour
may be a really dark purple? As the soaked beans look a little purple. In
the soaked photo you can see a bit of rusty brown around the hilum. The
plant is a bush bean not requiring support. The plant grows knee high and
produces green pods with 5-6 beans in each and these pods then turn yellow.
When picked young and fresh they do not require stringing. The pods are flat and not rounded.
Pods that are not picked early enough are left on the plant for seed. Once they get hit
by frost we pull the whole plant and lay then on cardboard in the garage to
dry. The dried beans are good for baked beans as well."

Russ I know you grow a lot of bush beans, any ideas?

Annette

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have not paid attention to my garden lately. We have been pushing hard to finish the outer parameter fence. We finally have our place enclosed and it is such a feeling of relief and satisfaction.

It has rained often enough that I didn't need to water. The only thing producing right now is zucchini and we've had enough of that so I didn't care if it grew to firewood logs.

We slaughtered a hog yesterday and will do #2 Friday. Then #3 and we'll be done. The pigs rooted up the rabbit protection fence......you know where is going, right? I am sickened.

All 3 varieties of beans look like this. I had timed it thinking I would be picking beans right about now. Rabbits have chewed every plant down to the stems.

IMG_1809.JPG

They ate every okra plant also. I had 4 rows ready to bloom, now I have stumps.

IMG_1810.JPG

Rabbits didn't touch anything else in the garden. Yet.

I will replace the chicken wire I put on the 2"x4" horse wire after we get the pigs gone. And hopefully the beans will grow back. The okra would be nice too.

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Are you sure it was rabbits. I had deer mow down all my beans one year.

Those beans might be Jacob's Cattle beans or maybe a cross of them.

Latest posts