2017 Little Easy Bean Network – Everything Beans, Post It Here & Join The Fun

Beanfan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm not into canning so mainly grow to eat fresh. I stay away from starches so eat a big vegetable soup with eggs for lunch and meat for dinner, during the summer that is probably beans for lunch and squash for dinner. Toward fall I start getting massive quantities of turnips, Asian radishes and Black Spanish radishes, I have been freezing a lot that we will eat over winter.

Attachments

• turnips:radishes 11:17.jpeg
    turnips:radishes 11:17.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 132

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Annette,

Guess what show up in my mailbox today. The Breck's Italian from Amishland. I should send her the money back. 17 seeds. She charges $3.00 for the seeds and $5.00 shipping. I guess she's got to make a living.

That's the mail for you, at least these didn't take 4 months less 4 days:th.

I only need 6 or so to grow for a comparison, keep the rest for yourself. I'm hoping it's the same delicious bean I used to grow and lost all those years ago :fl.

Annette

Beanfan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Russ, I put a marker in each sprouting cup as I presprout the beans slightly before planting, just until the little root appears. I put the marker in the row on planting but am supposed to do a planting map at the same time, that is where I messed up, I did some from memory and couldn't find all the markers. The varieties I have grown before are distinctive and I know what they are (I haven't had a problem before but grew so many this time), but it was the new ones were difficult since I didn't know what the pods looked like. My suppliers were my old reliables, Sandhill Preservation and Sample Seed Shop, plus new beans from new Azure Dandelion (I like to encourage homeschoolers), they were mostly bush beans that the rabbits wiped out in a side bed that didn't have adequate rabbit protection, I won't grow them there again. It is mainly just the Rio Zape and Tiger Eye that were a problem, but no beans resembling Tiger Eye were produced. The right side one in my photo looks most like your Rio Zape photo and also the purple pod matches descriptions, the problem being that it is a short pole instead of a bush, so that just leaves the brown one on the left. I can just grow it as an outcross. It was nice in being very early to produce while "Rio Zape" was very late, great to have both ends covered. I won't trade either bean since there is some uncertainty.

A question about growing your Network beans, do you have a rule about isolation from other beans? I do have one side fenced bed that is a distance from my main bed. I was thinking of just growing one variety there for you.
Nancy

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Beanfan,

Growing out network beans I have no rules about isolation. Just glad all the growers can grow what ever they care too. If it's only one that's great too. They all add up one by one. As time goes along I'm acquiring more people to grow beans so that's a very nice thing.

Beanfan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I got the Rio Zape seeds from Azure Dandelion, they do say it is a pole bean and Rio Zape is written on my map for where they were growing, so they do match their description. It took so long to get any seed to dry I was never sure that was what they were. I got Tiger Eye from them as well, it says they are a bush runner, and I have them in a different location on my map from where I picked the brown beans, which are the color of the photo on the Azure Dandelion site but don't have the kidney bean shape or the purple stripes I see on other websites, maybe their variety is not typical and that is what they sold me. I could buy them from another supplier to see if something different grows. Perhaps the mystery is solved. Thanks, Nancy

Beanfan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hi Beanfan,

Growing out network beans I have no rules about isolation. Just glad all the growers can grow what ever they care too. If it's only one that's great too. They all add up one by one. As time goes along I'm acquiring more people to grow beans so that's a very nice thing.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's great, Russ, I do grow all my beans fairly close and they usually match their descriptions. For growing seeds for you I wouldn't have a problem putting them in the farther bed. I looked through the ones with a ? for when they were last grown so want to select something from them. Most did not come up on google.

Tricia77

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's the mail for you, at least these didn't take 4 months less 4 days:th.

I only need 6 or so to grow for a comparison, keep the rest for yourself. I'm hoping it's the same delicious bean I used to grow and lost all those years ago :fl.

Annette
I guess I will just keep the beans I ordered when they show up. If anyone else wants to try them let me know, I ordered two packs.