2017 TIME TO START MY PLANTS

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I sanitized my starting stuff yesterday and started soaking the potting soil. I plan to start celeriac (first time for that) as well as chard and kale in the next few days. Best I can tell from reading up on celeriac I need to start it now, transplant it when frost isn't much of a threat, nurse it through summer probably using partial shade, and see when it finishes this fall.

I used to start kale and chard in the late summer direct seeded in the garden, nurse it through the winter, and get some pretty early greens in the spring when hey lived through the winter. Last year I started seeds inside in January, transplanted to the garden it in March, and got some pretty early greens. I still frost protect after transplanting but both can handle the cold pretty well. This way is more dependable than nursing through some of our winters.

It's a bit early but I'll soon start sprouting a couple of sweet potatoes up on top of a book shelf. They will get too big before planting time but I'll cut them back to keep size under control and root the cuttings. I should have a lot more sweet potato slips than I need, I always do.

I don't plan on starting any other seeds indoors this year, though we all know how plans go.

Speaking of plans, I was just informed that we will not be going to South Louisiana to see our grandkids at the end of this month as previously planned, it will now be early March. I'll reorganize our freezer this afternoon, I need to do that anyway. But I'll also tally up how much chicken I have stored in there. I need to see if I start saving eggs to incubate now or after we get back so I don't run out of chicken before they get to butcher age. I think I know the answer. I've already put one of this mornings eggs in incubator pre-storage.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This afternoon I put up another tray of seeds, all peppers and tomatoes.
My final tray will be in a couple of days, mostly goofy stuff, rutobagos, patty pan squash, beets and that sorta thing.

THANX RICH

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last year I planted the most annuals I'd ever started from seed. I did learn that many of them need an early start to be big enough at planting time in the garden. I . to have to get some seed really soon and get some of mine started

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
True. I like to grab some annuals at the end of the season and make them into houseplants, then transplant back into the flower garden next spring, like coleus and begonias. I even have an office tuberous begonia (yellow) that just loves the north facing windows at our office and blooms almost all year around.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not as far north as some people but if I don't start tomatoes and peppers in February they are usually not ready to transplant when the weather would let me.

I did my freezer check yesterday and found more kale than I thought I had. I have plenty of cauliflower and broccoli, we need to eat more of that. I have a lot of chicken carcasses so I have a batch of broth cooking now. But I will run out of chicken meat in August so I've started saving eggs to incubate. I don't like to incubate this early and brood them but travel plans and grandkids sort of take priority, you start things when you need to.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just checked my 1st tray of starts and there are already tomatoes sprouting, San Marzano, yellow lemon and beefsteak.
So far no peppers, not surprised as peppers always take their time germinating.

THANX RICH

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well I started another tray of seeds today and checked my last tray.
My last tray has some seeds germinating already, and the rate of germination is way better than any I can remember in the past.
I hope the garden turns out as good as these starts have, so far.

THANX RICH

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I am really anxious to start seeds BUT I am still taking care of the plants I brought in to avoid the freeze in November!!! My tropical hibiscus (formerly in a big outside pot at DD's house has survived my pantry with just an overhead light. As of yesterday, it's in a south facing window, and looks like it wants to bloom again. I'll give it back to the girls come next May. I subdivided a Boston fern ($1.00 on clearance in October) into 3 and they all look...ok. I bought a red amaryllis that is growing like gangbusters, along with a pot of "Cupid's Darts" (purple flower that I had never heard of before I bought the seeds) that sat at 2 inches tall ALL SUMMER on the porch and now thinks that the south facing indirect light by my kitchen sink is the best thing EVER!! Now 6 inch tall spikies. I expect that I'll have flowers on it in about a month.
I bought a heat mat last year, yet to use it. I'm cleaning up my 2nd floor south facing office and I expect to start some lettuce and herbs there next month, maybe early warm weather crops if the former do well.
Congratulations on everybody that is an Early Bird!!

Latest posts