2017 TIME TO START MY PLANTS

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
@dickiebird when are you able to put things in the garden? If I started tomatoes this early, they'd be trying to set fruit before I got them in the ground! The last several years, I can't get that garden actually planted until almost June because of the cold nights :th

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have some plans to ..

. order some seeds this month!

Inventory is first. Unfortunately, I have to include most everything even though it's just onion seed that will be needed over the next 6 minutes ... weeks!

Steve
trying to have no 2nd, follow-up orders from any outfit this year

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
@dickiebird when are you able to put things in the garden? If I started tomatoes this early, they'd be trying to set fruit before I got them in the ground! The last several years, I can't get that garden actually planted until almost June because of the cold nights :th

Me too. I started tomato seeds inside Feb. 3 last year and planted in the garden May 10, but they just sat and sat and never grew. Something wrong with it all. Not sure if I started the plants too early or if I put in the ground too early. I have not been starting my own tomatoes very long, just since maybe 2009 and before that I always bought plants and had good luck, so something I am doing is wrong. Last year my plants looked wonderful, but I got sick and I think I should have potted them up in bigger pots sooner. Same as the year before and I gave a Cherokee Purple to a friend and she thought it was her best tomato plant, so it might be my ground because her plants produce better than mine. I also saw her potatoes and onions. They were just healthier looking plants. Her ground is different than mine.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
GWR, I gave my son some of my tomato starts last year. They did great for him, and produced big and abundantly. The ones I kept and planted were stunted, sparsely leaved and gnarly fruit. Go figure. The gardening gods got some good chuckles out of my efforts last year.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I generally wait until I can go out and sit my bare behind in the soil and it isn't uncomfortable.....just kidding!!!
I usually get them in the garden around early May, but long before that they go out into my greenhouse.
By the time they get out there they are potted up into 1 qt. containers.
Some plants spend their time in 5 gal. buckets in the greenhouse, others get planted into large containers around my garden shed.
When I plant them in the garden it's like an assembly line.
First I dig the hole a couple of inches deeper than it needs to be, I put good ho-made compost in the bottom then my plant, real deep and finally back fill with more compost.
Finally I water in real good.
I'll try and load a pic of digging the holes.
DSCF0843.JPG
DSCF0844.JPG
DSCF0845.JPG

THANX RICH

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
GWR, I gave my son some of my tomato starts last year. They did great for him, and produced big and abundantly. The ones I kept and planted were stunted, sparsely leaved and gnarly fruit. Go figure. The gardening gods got some good chuckles out of my efforts last year.

Sounds like what happened to me and also I remember giving some other plants to a friend that was having her first garden. Really just dug into a yard and put some manure down and she planted really late, but I saw pictures and her tomatoes looked fine.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last year I started most everything too early and the plants got too gangly.
So this year I made Jan 1 my "go to" date, we'll see how that works out.
So far I have my potting bench cleaned off and a tray of plugs soaking, by this evening I should be able to sow some seeds!!!

THANX RICH
I don't know what your climate is like but I would think peppers and eggplant would be the only thing to start this early.

Latest posts