2018 Little Easy Bean Network - Join Us In Saving Amazing Heirloom Beans

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@aftermidnight

I planted 2 Pienky Jas today. I put them in my raised bed. I now have 4 varieties of beans planted. Not sure if I can do any more. I'm trying though.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@HmooseK , you sound like you're in the same boat I'm in, it's a struggle this year for me too but we just have to keep on truckin'. I have my PJ's started, Seneca Speckled Egg in tub with pole, Polish Freidank in tub with pole, those dang limas in tub with pole. Still more to start. Will be potting up more tomatoes today which will stay in the greenhouse until safe to plant out. My big garden bed is under tarps to keep the weeds down I have several raised bed so this is where I'm planting this year.
Annette

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@aftermidnight

Annette,

Guess what?

I managed to get 2 Pienky Jas and a dozen Minnie Shatterly planted today.

Hoteko is coming up.
Chestnut Flavored is coming up.
Oaxacan Cream is coming up.

So if I don't get anything else done, at least that's something.

Plus, I have maters on the vine!

Now if I can keep them alive in my heat, maybe...just maybe, I can save some seed. I'm trying.

Shucks!!! I almost forgot. I need to plant a few Black Jungle Butterbeans that Harry gave me.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes. I can remember as a small child waiting for the tiniest amount of earth to break. It still brings great pleasure when seeds emerge.

:) and if they are old seeds/having trouble and you have extras plant two in the same spot. help each other out, one of them may make it. :) for heavy clay soil here i haven't had to do that yet, but a friend down south took my suggestion for some of his lima beans and it helped.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@aftermidnight

Annette,

Guess what?

I managed to get 2 Pienky Jas and a dozen Minnie Shatterly planted today.

Hoteko is coming up.
Chestnut Flavored is coming up.
Oaxacan Cream is coming up.

So if I don't get anything else done, at least that's something.

Plus, I have maters on the vine!

Now if I can keep them alive in my heat, maybe...just maybe, I can save some seed. I'm trying.

Shucks!!! I almost forgot. I need to plant a few Black Jungle Butterbeans that Harry gave me.

i wish i could like this 100x :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
extra space reclaimed... hope for beans, at least along north end along fence will be for sure.

p5020017_Reclaimed_Space_thm.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
thank you! :) it's going to be nice to have more rows in that space. before it was just a single row down the middle.

the jug used to be a lamp and had a hole for the cord drilled through it. we have a much bigger jug somewhere around. i'm not sure if these came from grandparents or not - they may have...

i'm actually trying to take more of the pathways out if i can in places they are just wasted space and have to be weeded and kept up like a garden, might as well grow flowers or food instead. :)

all that gravel gets dirt in it and debris blown in on the wind and will sprout weeds. so eventually to recondition them it needs to be taken up and cleaned out. wood chips are so much easier. by the time they need to be replaced they are just scraped up and moved and used in a garden and can put down fresh wood chips. unfortunately back in that area we get flash floods and any wood chips used down too low may float away... wood chips are so much lighter... even if they don't last as long. almost all the crushed limestone has been in place for 20yrs or so.

saritabee

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
extra space reclaimed... hope for beans, at least along north end along fence will be for sure.

What an amazing garden! You have done an awesome job. LOVE all the different uses for rocks! ;)
Wood chips get weeds too, but at least they're a bit easier to pull out.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
What an amazing garden! You have done an awesome job. LOVE all the different uses for rocks! ;)
Wood chips get weeds too, but at least they're a bit easier to pull out.

much easier to pull out, or should i say mulch easier? :) weeds in the mulch are one thing i use to tell me it's time to add another top layer or to replace them entirely. for the gravel it means it's time to clean it out.

Latest posts