2018 Little Easy Bean Network - Join Us In Saving Amazing Heirloom Beans

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pics are not showing up on my work pc, not even after clearing the cache. I do see them on my phone!

thanks for the report but i doubt i can fix something like that as it is likely a local issue as i sure cannot control what others may be filtering/firewalling or what software they may be using. :/ sorry!

if you want to PM me your software versions on the devices i can at least keep track in case someone else reports a problem.

ok, i have to get out and do some watering and check sprouts before it gets too hot already...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug just read though your list and thinking of the work involved, I think I need a nap :). Oh to be younger and have some get up and go, not get up and went.... Very impressive list, will be waiting for pictures.

Annette

you are probably imagining much larger gardens than i actually planted. it took much more time to select seeds and write things down than to plant them. all the gardens were weeded a few times so didn't need too much prep. only a few had worms/etc applied and i did those first a few weeks ago now (time is going way too fast). wow, it's the 18th of June already...

AC is spoiling me the past few days.

i'm certainly feeling my age this week.

i would have liked to have finished weeding and planting beans in the garden outside the fences i was working on, but i'm listening to my body and what it's telling me and right now it's saying "Take a break and let me catch up a bit." so i'm reading books and messing around on-line while it is so hot/humid out.

garden pics eventually...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Kermit's Smokey Mountain beans... were given to me as potted plants and didn't have any supports to grow up, so when i planted them i put down some lily sticks and hoped they'd use those. too much wind, they wouldn't stay. after several weeks of trying to get anything to grow up those sticks i gave up.

was glad to see yesterday that they'd finally figured it out and were now winding around and growing up from other runners/leads.

Michael Lusk

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Unfortunately one of my network beans fell victim to some wily rabbits. The 'Joyce Fetterly's Red & White' were struggling (poor germination, small plants) but I thought I'd still be able to get them to adulthood...now they are just tiny plant stalks. Dang rabbits!

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Michael Lusk, You can see on my post #339 on page 34 what I do to fence out rabbits. These vinyl panels do work. Purchased at Manards. The white colored ones are the cheapest. They are 2 feet tall and 8 feet long supported by 32 inch steaks driven 8 inches into the ground. Steaks are cut from 1 x 2 inch furing strips with a long tappered point cut at one end with my jigsaw. The rabbits will be back eventually for more. I can just about guarantee that. We have rabbits around here as big as cats. If your bean planting survives until the plants are about a month old the rabbits seem to lose interest in them. I decided to erect these low fences cause I got tired of losing so much seed production to these pests as I call them.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately one of my network beans fell victim to some wily rabbits. The 'Joyce Fetterly's Red & White' were struggling (poor germination, small plants) but I thought I'd still be able to get them to adulthood...now they are just tiny plant stalks. Dang rabbits!

yeah, rabbits are meaner than groundhogs... groundhogs at least will often leave you something to continue growing out from so you may have a chance of getting a crop. the wabbies, they'll take a plant right out...

this year we have a mole running around inside the fenced gardens for a change. it's the first one that's been in there in some years. have the trap out, but not sure it will work as the run i put it on is a side run.

thejenx

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This is the only bean out of a mix that would germinate using the plastic baggy method. But now it seems stunted. Another of the same mix germinated in potting soil and was stunted at the same stage and then died. Is there anythingI can do?

20180622_202035.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thejenx

it might be ok if that node at the junction of the cotyledons isn't damaged beyond the point where leaves can sprout from there.

sometimes i've had bean plants chewed off but just a nub like that left and they've gone on to sprout new leaves.

be patient and hope for the best, the cotyledons have a lot of energy in there. :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
ok, a bean question,

what has been your longest germinating bean (number of days)?

it seems like 10-12 days is about the max, but perhaps others have experienced longer...

Latest posts