2018 Little Easy Bean Network - Join Us In Saving Amazing Heirloom Beans

reedy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
SE Indiana on a narrow ridge above the Ohio River
Ok, I've finally gotten the courage to ask my question on Scarlet Runner Beans. I've only grown them for their orange flowers and for the pretty bean seed. We like to use them in our art/craft projects. Are they edible at all as a green bean? If so, I must admit that the fuzzy pod turns me off.

Mary

I like to pick them just as seeds are barely forming, brush with olive oil or butter and drop on a hot grill for just a minute or two each side. A little winter savory or thyme chopped up in the oil is good too. I love pretty much any green bean that way but find runners especially tasty.

Add some carrots and potatoes, sliced lengthwise and a little onion and ya got a meal.

Last edited:

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@thejenx the first APS I grew had some greenies, this was seed from Gwilym's own allotment. I only kept seed from the purple pods but the next year I still got a few greenies but not as many. The pods start out green and then turn purple. if they were purple to start with it would be easier to remove the vines that were producing greenies, @Zeedman said the stems have a different color so that might make it easier.
I got the my last seeds from Rob Waterhouse who was growing APS's for Gwilym in isolation, no greenies in that bunch. I didn't grow them this year because I'm growing Piekny Jas, can't grow two runners in the same year because they cross so easily.
Piekny Jas is another elusive bean over here, getting the right one has been difficult but I have it now. I have several batches of APS seed in the freezer some will still produce greenies but the last batch should be ok as I didn't get a single greenie. I hope I put the dates on the jars so I can tell which is which:(. Still it's the best runner I've ever eaten green or purple and I've eaten a lot :).

Annette

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hubby came in from watering my garden for me last night and said my "Only the Lonely A.K.A. Ralph's Italian" has gone up it's pole, crossed over and is now going up the magnolia tree a couple of feet away. He thinks he sees some flowers but not sure, fingers crossed.
If successful we'll need a ladder to collect pods.

Annette

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ninnymary that's the only way I've eaten them, as a green bean but others have used them as you would dry beans. Over in the U.K. they are mostly used as green beans. Being my family is from England this was their bean of choice to grow. Look at T&Morgan UK and you'll see they have many varieties listed.
As a kid I could hardly wait for that first feed of runners, YUM..
Most have to be stringed and have a different texture then the beans you are used to but I really love the flavor. Also they have to be picked when young before the seed forms or barely forms. I like to french them before steaming.
They like a cooler climate but there is one that takes a bit of heat it's Insuck's Wang Kong, They originally came from Jim Wright in Washington he named them after his wife. I think Sandhill Preservation has them listed. Whereas APS's you have to get a start from other gardeners.
There are other varieties of runners that are good as green beans but for me it's the Aeron Purple Star, it does lose the purple color when cooked but this one is stringless has a lovely flavor with a touch of sweetness. Not the best pic but gives you an idea of the pod color.
View attachment 28053
Runners are very promiscuous so if you want to keep them true only grow one variety of runner in any given year and hope if your neighbor is also growing the same variety.
Annette

thanks for this and all your other posts on the topic. :) i really do wish i had a bit longer of a season for growing and a lot more heavy fence space i could put these on because the hummers sure do like them and i love the large seeds and variations i keep seeing when i look up pictures of them. that they produce edible pods is like super bonus to me, but i always have a hard time picking pods when i want those seeds too... hahaha. too many toys can't pick which one to play with...

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ok, I've finally gotten the courage to ask my question on Scarlet Runner Beans. I've only grown them for their orange flowers and for the pretty bean seed. We like to use them in our art/craft projects. Are they edible at all as a green bean? If so, I must admit that the fuzzy pod turns me off.

Mary

The garden kids and I graze on the small pods. They're sweet and tasty. When the beans start filling out the pod they are a little too chewy and fuzzy.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ralph: I can't believe I ate that whole thing…

His Wife: You ate it, Ralph.

His Wife: No, Ralph, I ate it.

His Wife: Take two Alka-Seltzers.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Maybe not the best write up on runner beans but the first one I came to...
http://www.eattheweeds.com/scarlet-runner-bean/
I've never eaten runners raw but some have, I've tasted other beans raw but not in great amounts. Some people tolerate them with no ill effects, other haven't. Some beans are more toxic than others in the raw state.

Latest posts