1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Happy Autumn all! - Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

2018 Little Easy Bean Network - Join Us In Saving Amazing Heirloom Beans

Discussion in 'Fruits & Vegetables' started by Bluejay77, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Sep 11, 2018
    Bluejay77

Bluejay77 Garden Addicted

No @flowerbug you aren't the only person who does such things. Over a week ago when we were into what would become our 14 inches of rain in a week. I was driving tall poles with screws sticking out of them to pull up bush and semi runner plants that were full of mature pods swollen with seed some of them very yellow with some green ones thrown in. I picked some very wet brown pods and took them into the house and spread them out on sheets of cardboard and set a fan blowing on them for days to dry the pods and seed inside. Some leather pods I shelled out and wrote marker tags and placed the shelled out seed on syro foam picnic plates to also dry in front of the fan. I did save a lot of seed from being ruined. We went from excellent drying weather in early to later in August and harvested about a third of the pods to monsoon weather in late August and early September for over a week and now we are back to excellent drying weather again. Yep harvest time keeps a lot of us bean growers very busy actually all summer long.

Zeedman likes this.
  2. Sep 12, 2018
    flowerbug

flowerbug Garden Addicted

i didn't mind some of that rain for sure, but then it became too much, i was wondering if the tomatoes would even finish as there wasn't much sun for so long...

i had some bits of white mold start up but caught it early enough. i also have a lot of water marked beans of certain varieties, but they're not spoiled so i'll eat them anyways.

weather looks good for the next week at least here which is a nice break, but we've got heavy fogs forecast for the next few evenings so that'll keep things a bit more wet than i'd like.

saritabee likes this.
  3. Sep 15, 2018
    flowerbug

away from on-line for some number of days due to chimney needing work which will likely mean no internet connection. hope everyone's fall bean harvest is continuing well and i'll be thinking of y'all. :)

4. Sep 19, 2018
    flowerbug

one more bean garden to go and then done until next week with the bean picking. shouldn't take more than a half hour to an hour depending upon how many are ready.

much better condition this time around which is nice when shelling.

a few plants still green/flowering and left alone.

saritabee likes this.
  5. Sep 19, 2018
    aftermidnight

aftermidnight Garden Addicted

Hubby went out and took a pic of a few Ralph's Italian pods this morning, these few are about 10' high on the vine, some are way up the magnolia around 16' maybe just maybe some will be mature enough to pick for seed before the weather turns. Victory Seed has it down as a green bean but the pod looks somewhere in between a green and a wax.
    photo 3.jpg

6. Sep 26, 2018 at 7:24 AM
    Decoy1

Decoy1 Sprout

I’d appreciate some feedback about seed storing. As a fairly new bean addict I’ve collected about 30 varieties over the last couple of years. I’m aware that I don’t need - and physically can’t! - grow them all on every year.
    I wonder how many years on average experienced growers feel it’s a good idea to generate new stock by growing a particular variety again. Also I’d be interested to know how you’ve found this is affected by keeping at room temperature, in fridge or in freezer. And do most bean-seed-savers freeze for a few days to eliminate any would-be pests?
    Jan
    PS. I’m hoping to take part in Russ’s growing network next season - in England.