2018 Little Easy Bean Network - Join Us In Saving Amazing Heirloom Beans

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Woohoo, finally got my keyboard issue fixed! Happy to see what everyone's up to.

glad you made it back, i've hopefully finally got the mouse replaced with something that will last longer than a few months and my keyboard is slightly iffy, but i'm hoping i can fix it when it gets annoying enough. i have another in the closet that is identical with a different issue, so i'm hoping between the two i can cobble something together.

as for making baggies bug free i think a soak in some warm water with a little bleach will probably do in about anything lurking.

Lady0bug

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It is snowing this morning in Minnesota! The 2018 vegetable gardening season is officially done for me. All beans have been pulled and drying in the garage. Now cleanup of the flower beds begins. Hope everyone else's first frost holds off for a bit.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is snowing this morning in Minnesota! The 2018 vegetable gardening season is officially done for me. All beans have been pulled and drying in the garage. Now cleanup of the flower beds begins. Hope everyone else's first frost holds off for a bit.

they've taken the s-word out of tonights forecast of rain. yes, today is more putting up gardens weather, sunshine for a change, two days in a row. :) i scout around a bit for late beans, but most have pods that are too young to do anything with. i did get a few from the Black Coco plant and some of the MCPs a few days ago, but that's it for ones i needed to get seeds from. with the cooler weather they've been blooming and trying to make seeds, but the cold is going to shut them down before they can finish.

Decoy1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here in eastern UK we’ve had unseasonally warm dry weather and there’s apparently no frost risk for the next two weeks. Quite a few varieties are still outside and just about still ripening. Luckily it’s been a perfect autumn for beans.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
It’s weird that everyone is starting to get their first frost.

I don’t get mine till February/March and then only once maybe twice.

Mary

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Saturday night we had a killing frost in northern Illinois. Actually the frost date is normal. About 5 days ago we had frost but it was light. I had one lima vine on the south side of the house did not get killed in Saturday nights frost. It's my first successful grow out of this glossy black lima with whitish radiating lines from it's eye called "Sons Of Thunder". All the other bean plants on the south side of the house were taken by the frost. Our normal temperatures for this time of the year should be about 63F - 17C. Today it will be about 45F - 7C. It appears October is going to be below normal tempertures. Most of this week will struggle to get to 54F - 12C. I'll probably cover the "Sons Of Thunder" vines tonight hoping that helps. I might just clip green pods that are full of seed and dry them inside for about a month.

thejenx

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I thought these should be here, I found them through the link @digitS' shared. You can click on the cultivar list to see the enormous amount of beans there are in the world, or to check if a bean name is already in use for your latest outcross...
https://www.uliwestphal.de/the-cultivar-series/index.html
Phaseolus-vulgaris-I.jpg
Phaseolus-vulgaris-work-in-progress.jpg

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought these should be here, I found them through the link @digitS' shared. You can click on the cultivar list to see the enormous amount of beans there are in the world, or to check if a bean name is already in use for your latest outcross...
https://www.uliwestphal.de/the-cultivar-series/index.html
View attachment 28758 View attachment 28759

That is pretty interesting. I had no idea that this site existed. Many of my original named beans are on the list and so are many of Robert Lobitz's named beans.

Latest posts