2018 Little Easy Bean Network - Join Us In Saving Amazing Heirloom Beans

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug,

I checked my spreadsheet and I had sent the Red Bollito out to someone two years ago but new seed had not been returned. Perhaps the reason I didn't get seed back was they might not have grown. So possible that the seed you have won't grow. The Red Bollito has very round seed. Red Bollito also looks rounder than the Red Ball. Even the True Red Cranberry is not as round as the Red Bollito. If I get some more Red Bollito befor you plant. I'll send some more.

I've been in commuication with a fellow in Italy and maybe I'll be able to get more Red Bollito from him. I'm going to ask about them.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is a link anyone here can look at. You might find this interesting or a least entertianing.

:)

https://www.seedsavers.org/legacy-donors-russ-crow

it's good to see a video of you as now i have more than the face and the voice but actual animation of features, mannerisms, etc. heehee. :)

nice picture of part of the collection.

kudoes and fun. i'm grinning...

sunshine is out, going to be a warmer and calmer day than yesterday which means progress when i get out there after brunch.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug,

I checked my spreadsheet and I had sent the Red Bollito out to someone two years ago but new seed had not been returned. Perhaps the reason I didn't get seed back was they might not have grown. So possible that the seed you have won't grow. The Red Bollito has very round seed. Red Bollito also looks rounder than the Red Ball. Even the True Red Cranberry is not as round as the Red Bollito. If I get some more Red Bollito befor you plant. I'll send some more.

I've been in commuication with a fellow in Italy and maybe I'll be able to get more Red Bollito from him. I'm going to ask about them.

they are not common, i've only been able to see a few images and when i check the websites for them they may be in a picture but not shown in any places you can get them from...

i'm just glad i don't have the last one on earth! that's a heavy responsibility, even if i know that someone can probably eventually breed some version close to it again.

with all the red beans i grow and now more round beans in the mix i may even get a local cross to show up eventually. i hope i have another 20-30yrs of growing so who knows what mother nature will gift me with and how it will progress? :)

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Jim Tye is a true "runner" bean?

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Remy has it listed as a half runner, P. vulgaris so it's not a "true" runner P. coccineus.
What do half runner vines usually reach 3-4' ? I don't grow any so can't comment on that.

Annette

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Remy has it listed as a half runner, P. vulgaris so it's not a "true" runner P. coccineus.
What do half runner vines usually reach 3-4' ? I don't grow any so can't comment on that.

Annette

This is the way Russ explained it to me.

Pole beans growth habit is 8 ft or more. Many pole beans will actually grow to 12 ft. or more. Half runners are the 4 to 6 ft category, and semi runners about 2 to 3 feet.

Latest posts