2018 Little Easy Bean Network - Join Us In Saving Amazing Heirloom Beans

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting that this thread appeared. I searched for it and Russ yesterday. I had mailed some dry beans (grown out three years in a row from left over Russ' beans) to a friend in San Diego last fall and she was asking about the two and their characteristics yesterday as she gets ready to plant. So I found my answer on this thread and Russ' page. I'm not as involved at all of you, but I do like learning about all this.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
In my opinion, and it is only an opinion as I'm not a genetics expert, the ones that never stabilize may at least partly be due to partially dominant genes. What I'm calling partially dominant are the genes that if both of the genes at that gene pair are the partially dominant one you get one result. If only one of those genes at that gene pair is the partially dominant one you get a different result.

The best example I have is from chicken feather color genetics and the blue/black/splash gene. If both genes at that gene pair are this B/B/S gene you get a splash color. This is basically a white chicken but it has black splashed randomly in it's feathers. If only one of those genes at that gene pair is the B/B/S gene you get a blue chicken. It's actually more of a blue/grey but they call it blue. If none are the B/B/S gene you get black.

This gene also demonstrates where a gene has an effect only if another gene or condition is present. There are different ways to make black genetically so I can't just say a black gene. But the B/B/S gene only affects a feather that would be black if B/B/S were not present. B/B/S has no effect on a red or white feather.

I'm sure there are other reasons some beans never stabilize but I do think this can be part of the problem.

@Rhodie Ranch Russ typically starts his new bean thread early April. It should be starting up soon but he has a lot of organizing to get ready. So maybe another two weeks or so.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
In my opinion, and it is only an opinion as I'm not a genetics expert, the ones that never stabilize may at least partly be due to partially dominant genes. What I'm calling partially dominant are the genes that if both of the genes at that gene pair are the partially dominant one you get one result. If only one of those genes at that gene pair is the partially dominant one you get a different result.

The best example I have is from chicken feather color genetics and the blue/black/splash gene. If both genes at that gene pair are this B/B/S gene you get a splash color. This is basically a white chicken but it has black splashed randomly in it's feathers. If only one of those genes at that gene pair is the B/B/S gene you get a blue chicken. It's actually more of a blue/grey but they call it blue. If none are the B/B/S gene you get black.

This gene also demonstrates where a gene has an effect only if another gene or condition is present. There are different ways to make black genetically so I can't just say a black gene. But the B/B/S gene only affects a feather that would be black if B/B/S were not present. B/B/S has no effect on a red or white feather.

I'm sure there are other reasons some beans never stabilize but I do think this can be part of the problem.

@Rhodie Ranch Russ typically starts his new bean thread early April. It should be starting up soon but he has a lot of organizing to get ready. So maybe another two weeks or so.

i knew we had talked about this before... :) it took me a while to find it but at least i had fun reading about beans again. :)

https://www.theeasygarden.com/threa...zing-heirloom-beans.21746/page-14#post-322098

the page references a website which has changed. contains a lot of interesting bean information:

https://www.canr.msu.edu/beanbreeding/

and if that wasn't enough to read:

http://www.bic.uprm.edu/

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting that this thread appeared. I searched for it and Russ yesterday. I had mailed some dry beans (grown out three years in a row from left over Russ' beans) to a friend in San Diego last fall and she was asking about the two and their characteristics yesterday as she gets ready to plant. So I found my answer on this thread and Russ' page. I'm not as involved at all of you, but I do like learning about all this.

i'm trying to be patient. :) spring planting will be here soon enough. now that the flowers are starting to poke up and the peepers are peeping...

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Was looking through this forum and have a terminology question which I've been unable to answer with a light Google dive. I'm fairly inexperienced with seed collecting and am not familiar with the terms segregation and outcross. Outcross I can kind of imagine but the Segregation stumps me. Thanks in advance for your help!

@Michael Lusk, Bean usually pollinate themselves most of the time successfully that is why they stay the same so much even when grown with other varieties of beans next to them. Outcrossing is when a bean variety successfully crosses with another variety. You can consider the new outcrossed seed as a hybrid. When planting this hybrid you will get new combinations as new gene pairs are created from the self pollination of the outcrossed seed. These new combinations are segregations. The are separated in characteristics, different than or segregated from the original outcross.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hope to get the new bean thread up around the 12th or 13th of April. April 6th I will be at the Appalachian Seed Swap in Pikeville, Kentucky. I will be one of the seed dealers there. After that I might make a short trip up to Danville, Kentucky as it has been found out by my younger brother that my great, great, great grandfather John Crow who was in George Washington's revolutionary army founded the town of Danville. His children and grand children trace correctly to my grandfather and father in Texas. John Crow was awarded a good piece of land for his service in the revolutionary army. After traveling through the Cumberland gap he founded Danville. I think my brother says that the original building that he built in the late 1700's is still there. After that it's home to begin getting my taxes done myself ASAP. Begin tomato plants. Start filling bean seed requests, and get the new 2019 thread up and going.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hope to get the new bean thread up around the 12th or 13th of April. April 6th I will be at the Appalachian Seed Swap in Pikeville, Kentucky. I will be one of the seed dealers there. After that I might make a short trip up to Danville, Kentucky as it has been found out by my younger brother that my great, great, great grandfather John Crow who was in George Washington's revolutionary army founded the town of Danville. His children and grand children trace correctly to my grandfather and father in Texas. John Crow was awarded a good piece of land for his service in the revolutionary army. After traveling through the Cumberland gap he founded Danville. I think my brother says that the original building that he built in the late 1700's is still there. After that it's home to begin getting my taxes done myself ASAP. Begin tomato plants. Start filling bean seed requests, and get the new 2019 thread up and going.

seed swap! :)

i'm still going through my beans and paring things down. made it through 16 containers this morning (time for a break now) and one large flat so i can see some space on the floor in here where those boxes/containers were sitting. today is good weather for that as it's raining and cold out there.

it is nice to have that kind of connection and family history. i hope the trip is fun and goes well.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Ridgerunner @flowerbug, Thanks for the information, I really appreciate you guys taking the time to answer my question in such detail.

y.w. :) i'm still learning a lot... i wouldn't consider my terminology to be reliable as of yet.

like today i'm reading about the different genetic pools of the American beans and how some of them if they do cross may not continue on as viable seed lines. this may explain some of the results i've had where i thought i had a pretty nice bean but then when i plant it the results are poor (i mean aside from conditions and variations that i'd expect).

then the issue becomes how do i figure out which genetic pool many of the beans i have are in. lol

Latest posts