2018 Little Easy Bean Network - Join Us In Saving Amazing Heirloom Beans

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! Here we are into our 6th year. Incredible, and our numbers of grower helpers grows each year. Hope last years growers will all be back and hope a bunch of new growers will join us.

For those who join us for the very first time. You can go to my website http://www.abeancollectorswindow.com and click on the yellow link near the top of the page marked "Network". The text there will explain how our network operates. If you have any questions you can always email me at upadam@comcast.net

This year there are some beans that are in critical need of growing fresh seed. Some of them have a question mark under their names as to what year they were last grown on the Network pages of A Bean Collector's Network website. I'm going to list the ones in most need of a grow out. Hope you will consider chosing some of them. However your choices are always up to you. Will then type below a second list of the next most in need of a grow out.

Most In Need Of A Grow Out

Brazilian Black ----------------Half Runner
Coscorrones--------------------Prostrate, lays spreading on the ground
Gold Of Bacau------------------Pole - Wax
Gordo----------------------------Unknown
Large White Lima--------------Bush
Missouri Wonder---------------Pole
Mrs. Mauds----------------------Pole Lima
Pinto------------------------------Half Runner
Precoce de Samur--------------Pole
Purple Dove----------------------Bush
Rwanda Rainbow----------------Pole
Small Speckled Bunch----------Semi Runner
Stangenbohne Andrea----------Pole
Stayley's Star---------------------Pole
Tarbais-----------------------------Pole
Warpath---------------------------Unknown
Yellow Long-----------------------Unknown, probably a wax variety

Second Most In Need Of A Grow Out

Burgundy Kidney------------------Bush
Green String------------------------Pole
Harvey's White Haricot-----------Pole
Louisiana Red Kidney-------------Bush
Meravigllia di Veneza-------------Pole - Wax
Montezuma Red--------------------Half Runner
Nova Star----------------------------Pole
Nova Segregation------------------Pole
Old Black Coco---------------------Half Runner
Rattlesnake-------------------------Pole
Red Lima----------------------------Pole
Sallee Dunahoo Family McCaslan-Pole
Sallee Dunahoo White Greasy----Pole
Sangre De Toro---------------------Pole
Snow Star----------------------------Pole
Tara Humara Purple---------------Pole
Tennessee Greenpod--------------Bush
Tierra Tan Bolitas------------------Pole
White Turtle-------------------------Bush

Thank you for reading through all of this. Hope you will join us in growing these wonderful amazing heirloom beans. May your fields be dry, your rows be straight, and your harvest be plentiful!

Sincerely
Russ Crow

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
:)

just sent e-mail, that should get front page image to show correctly.

Last edited:

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, can't believe we're on 6 years. I'd like to grow a few of those pole beans. I recognize several of Marshall's beans there that I have grown. Will send you a pm.

Last edited:

saritabee

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wahoo! 2018, here we come! ;)

I'm stepping it up this year... can I grow these beans, please (some of them are not on the "most needed" list, but are still listed with questions marks for the last-grown year on the website?):

Lekatt (Bush)
Night Star (Bush)
Schoko Flecken (Bush)
Blue Heron (Pole)
Schone von Frau Weitzl (Pole)
Slut (Pole)
Gordo (Unknown)
Mugungi (Unknown)

Do we still get the extra bean seeds per two LEBN grow-outs? If so, I'd take a few of Algarrobo, Buckskin Girl, Hashuli Brown and White, and San Antonio. I don't need a lot, just 4 or 5 would work great.

Thanks for running the bean network again this year, Russ -- I'm excited!

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 Reading through the list, Tarbais is listed as prostrate; I grew it last year (seed from WA LO R), it was a vigorous pole - and a heavy producer. I grew Sangre de Toro in 2016 (from WA MC C), and it too was a pole variety.

My list is still in progress... but then, still got plenty of time, its not as if it will be warm enough to plant any time soon. :idunno Still snow on the ground here. I lost about 4000 square feet of garden space last year, so won't be growing as many beans as in years past. I hope to reclaim part of that lost ground (it needs to be raised up for drainage), and/or find a new site on higher ground.

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have too many of my own to grow this year, but I will follow along for the ride.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
With my move I will not be growing any of yours this year and probably not any of mine. It will just be too late when I get there and get ready. My grow area has been tremendously reduced and I also have drainage problems to resolve before I plant anything,. But I will certainly enjoy the ride.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@saritabee ! Yes you still get the extra bean seeds per two LEBN grow-outs?

@Zeedman, Thank you for the growth habit info on those two beans. I will update that info on the website right now. I think I got those beans from Joe Simcox and often he didn't give me any or correct info on some of the beans he sent me.
Thank you again.

For those of you who won't be chosing anything to grow this year. Always love to have you along for the ride. You help make this thread more interesting and knowledgeable and exciting with your contiued comments.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Unfortunately due to health issues I have to decline too, I still plan on putting in a small garden with a few beans, tomatoes and other things but I don't want to take a chance on growing something for you that I can't follow through with, but, if everything goes alright I may be able to send you one or two you don't have:D.
I will be following this thread with great interest and join in with anything beany from time to time:).

Annette

Latest posts