2018 Little Easy Bean Network - Join Us In Saving Amazing Heirloom Beans

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew Emelia's Italian for seed last year. Very productive. Also listed it among my Seed Savers Exchange entries in the 2018 yearbook. I had one SSE member request it so far. This year I will grow it for snap beans and get to try out it's eating qualities. Will put away a bunch of them in the freezer too.

reedy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
SE Indiana on a narrow ridge above the Ohio River
I like reading about the science of why plants do what they do. it helps me understand what is going on sometimes when unexpected or expected things happen.

I don't really actively apply it much though, it requires too much precise control of conditions and too much record keeping. I mostly just like to plant and watch.

rdback

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Northern Shenandoah Valley of VA - Zone 6B
@Bluejay77 While I'm here, I'll submit my list. I already have a full plate, but I can grow a few this year.

Madagascar 3 (Pole - Lima)
Mbombo Green
Bonus Pick - Brejo

I'd also like to give No Name WB-PKT #32 (Bonsall) a shot.

Any issues, please let me know.

Thanks

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've had success and failures thus far.

Minnie Shatterly got washed away. We had a 4" rain.

These had 0% Germination. They were old, so I knew it was a long shot.

Emelia's Italian Pole
Turkey Craw
Grandma Roberts
Tobacco Worm
Cherokee Trail of Tears
Black Jungle Butterbean

These should be good. Some are up and some were planted from sprouted seed.

Oaxacan Cream
Hoteko
Tennessee Green Pod
Pienky Jas
Chestnut Flavored
Sierra Madre
Woods Mountain Crazy Bean

1 planted 1 sprouted seed so far of
ChickenMamma91's Outcrossed Purple Pole

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm going on memory, but I believe Grandma Roberts came from "Fusion Power" Dar Jones. It was his Grandma's.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm going on memory, but I believe Grandma Roberts came from "Fusion Power" Dar Jones. It was his Grandma's.
Yes, that bean entered seed saving circles via Dar, who traded it with many on Gardenweb. I grew it in 2014, it was a very productive bean... one of the better purple-podded beans I've tried. Blue Marbutt (also from Fusion) was very productive too; firmer, better flavored pods, but not fully purple.

Alas, my list of beans (and incidentally, everything else) has been pared way down, to only a few "must grows" (Annette, you already know what the beans are). I injured my foot, and will be recovering from surgery until sometime in July. So my rural plot - where I grow most of my seed crops - will be fallow this year.

The silver lining is that I will be able to focus on eliminating some of the weed pressure which has increased over the last few years, and do some major work on that garden (later in Summer) to increase its drainage. Until then, though, I will be putting a lot of seed into the freezer, to preserve it for better days.

Last edited:

Latest posts