2018 Little Easy Bean Network - Join Us In Saving Amazing Heirloom Beans

Eleanor

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Need help finding a bean for a friend. The name is Flossie Powell. It's a Lima Bean.

Hey @aftermidnight

Oh Annette, you got your ears on? I'd like to surprise George and send these to him.

Here's a little history

Original source: Was introduced into the Seed Savers Exchange, in the 80’s by Harold R. Martin of Hopkinsville, KY who got it from an aunt named Ethel Martin. Ethel Martin, in turn, received her start of seed from Flossie Powell in 1922.

John Coykendall and his group from Blackberry Farms was trading Flossie Powell at this year's Ohio Valley Seed Swap - I'd contact him or Michael Washburn his garden manager.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
John Coykendall and his group from Blackberry Farms was trading Flossie Powell at this year's Ohio Valley Seed Swap - I'd contact him or Michael Washburn his garden manager.

oh my, must be grand to be popular enough to be able to hire someone else to do things. :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ordered the bean called "Frost" that I couldn't find in our bean inventory from a member of SSE in Montana. The beans came today and they are the same ones we had before.

great news! i'm glad to hear. they looked so similar to the red orca beans i've seen so i'm curious how they'll turn out. :) are you going to try to grow them out this season?

Eleanor

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

oh my, must be grand to be popular enough to be able to hire someone else to do things. :)

Well the whole estate is over 4,000 acres and from what I gathered, the gardens are decently sized...

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@HmooseK,

I got a large sample of Flossie Powell beans last year from John Coykendall. I haven't planted any of them yet, but I can share some of these beans out of this sample. He must have sent me 70 seeds at least possibly more. No need to return any seed to me on these as I'm going to grow this one this year.

PM me your address and I can get these in the mail to you today.

Flossie Powell.jpg

Flossie Powell - Pole - Lima

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@VA_LongBean,

Glad you liked the packaging. That is going to be the standard from here on out. That should make it easy for everyone to mail their return seeds. You even get mailing address labels to put on your package. I hope removing the labels that the post office puts on those boxes won't be difficult. Perhaps they can be covered over with something.

Next year I will use brand new boxes again.

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
great news! i'm glad to hear. they looked so similar to the red orca beans i've seen so i'm curious how they'll turn out. :) are you going to try to grow them out this season?

I won't be able to grow out the Frost this year. Have so many others that I need to get to this year on account of age. If someone thinks they have space for Frost this year. I got the bean here anyway. If not the bean will probably still be ok for growing next year.

Latest posts