2018 Little Easy Bean Network - Join Us In Saving Amazing Heirloom Beans

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I won't be able to grow out the Frost this year. Have so many others that I need to get to this year on account of age. If someone thinks they have space for Frost this year. I got the bean here anyway. If not the bean will probably still be ok for growing next year.

i did want them originally for this season, but now that space has already been claimed so i may request them next season if you still have them available... being in the northern end of things i wanted to see how they actually did late into the fall.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@HmooseK,

You are very welcome. The seed sample I got was larger than I will grow anyway. So somebody might as well have some of the seed. No need to send any postage. We would like to see photos of your Flossie Powell grow out as your season progresses. Post your bean garden photos here. We love pictures.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
i did want them originally for this season, but now that space has already been claimed so i may request them next season if you still have them available... being in the northern end of things i wanted to see how they actually did late into the fall.

I got 50 seeds in the "Frost" sample. I'm sure no one will request the seed anymore this year. I would be willing to bet the seed will be plenty viable next year. I'll probably stick the sample in the freezer and that will pretty much stop it's ageing.

I've noticed seed that I put in the freezer 5 years ago when taken out of the freezer and compared to current seed that was left at room temperature seemingly has not darkened hardly one iota. Freezing really slows the aging of seed tremendously.

VA_LongBean

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Beans planted today:

For me:
Comtesse de Chambord
Adzuki - Hunsty brand
Black Valentine
Bountiful,
Pencil Pod,
Takara Early Adzuki

For the project:
Gold of Bacau - pole
Tennessee Green Pod - bush,
Paula - bush,
White Turtle - bush

I think my runner beans didn't make it, and the pinkeye purple hull cowpeas are thinking seriously about sprouting or not. The rest are all up to varying degrees. There are also some volunteer limas from last year I need to relocate. My whole main garden was covered with mulch and, despite the local semi-drought, everything is still wet below ground.

My few potatoes are up too.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got 50 seeds in the "Frost" sample. I'm sure no one will request the seed anymore this year. I would be willing to bet the seed will be plenty viable next year. I'll probably stick the sample in the freezer and that will pretty much stop it's ageing.

I've noticed seed that I put in the freezer 5 years ago when taken out of the freezer and compared to current seed that was left at room temperature seemingly has not darkened hardly one iota. Freezing really slows the aging of seed tremendously.

i haven't looked into this at all, but do you need a special freezer? i do know that the frost-free freezers can vary the temperature quite a bit especially around the edges when it is going through the defrost stage.

PhilaGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A traditional chest freezer (not frost free) is one of the least expensive (to buy and run) and stable (in terms of constant temperature) for keeping seeds.

The frost free unit on top of a regular refrigerator is not recommended because temps do fluctuate greatly with each defrost cycle. If you don't have a choice, put seeds in a container within another container with a freezer block to keep the temps more stable.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
A traditional chest freezer (not frost free) is one of the least expensive (to buy and run) and stable (in terms of constant temperature) for keeping seeds.

The frost free unit on top of a regular refrigerator is not recommended because temps do fluctuate greatly with each defrost cycle. If you don't have a choice, put seeds in a container within another container with a freezer block to keep the temps more stable.

thanks, that's pretty much what i expected, but there's no room here for anything like that now...

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I wanted to share a rare bean I am attempting to grow. Its Oaxacan Cream. To me it's such a pretty bean. It's a plump bean and as it dries it takes on almost light copper hue. I'm not sure you can tell from the picture, but the vine is so delicate and dainty. Give me a few minutes to get a picture of the seed.
IMG_4951.jpg

IMG_4962.jpg

Last edited:

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here's one @aftermidnight and I are attempting this year. Hers is a tway bit ahead of mine, but here is a picture of my Pienky Jas. I gotta get something in place for it to climb!
IMG_4963.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the Munachedda Pale i'm hoping will grow for me this year (from Russ's collection) is similar in color, very light.

Latest posts