2018 Little Easy Bean Network - Join Us In Saving Amazing Heirloom Beans

Eleanor

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Apologies this is a bit off-topic but I figure this audience is well-suited to help. Cellini Runner beans (Phaseolus cocoentus) - they are listed in Rancho Gordo's Heirloom Bean book (2008) but I cannot find any information on them specifically or Phaseolus cocoentus in general. Any insight is appreciated and thanks in advance...

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Eleanor
May be misspelled, coccineus not cocoentus.
Did you find this bit of info....
It's a medium to large runner bean with a slightly thicker skin than the more common runner cannellinies. Because they hold their shape they are ideal for salads and composed dishes.

Annette

Last edited:

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think the topic is perfect for a thread that is anything bean. Hopefully some of the beanaholics on here can help you.

I cannot help you, no knowledge of them myself. When I googled cellini runner beans I got zero, nada, zip hits. When I googled Phaseolus cocoentus i did get Annette's spelling correction and several hits on the Scarlet Runner bean family. I tried growing Scarlet Runners one year, they did not do well at all. I think I'm too hot or too dry for them. There are more in the family than just the Scarlet Runners, some even have white blooms.

Not much help I know.

Eleanor

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I thought it a misspelling as well though later they do correctly use coccineus in reference to Runner Beans, so I thought it odd they could be so off in spelling that it wasn't caught.

I was hopeful for a new species to try that wouldn't present cross-pollination issues...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Apologies this is a bit off-topic but I figure this audience is well-suited to help. Cellini Runner beans (Phaseolus cocoentus) - they are listed in Rancho Gordo's Heirloom Bean book (2008) but I cannot find any information on them specifically or Phaseolus cocoentus in general. Any insight is appreciated and thanks in advance...

nothing really showing for that name, i wonder if it is a typo for phaseolus coccineus...

reedy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
SE Indiana on a narrow ridge above the Ohio River
Most all my garden is in but not much is up, needs rain! Weather pretty much went straight from cool and damp to hot and dry. I wish I had done my wet trench method of planting but wish in one hand as they say.

Two of my network Lima Beans is all I have left to plant, will be doing that later today. They are the ones with just a few seeds so I'm gonna dig nice big holes and fill with water a couple times before putting the dry dirt and seeds back in. If it stays dry at least these two will have an advantage.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
One thing I learned to avoid doing when I plant bean seeds (or others) in loose soil is do not pour water directly on where you planted them, not until it hardens up. You can wash them deeper, out, or to the side. Sprinkling doesn't do that, but pouring a large cup full of water on loose soil can. Don't ask how i noticed this.

I try to avoid getting the top of the soil wet as much as I can. You can't do much with rain. I don't like to work the soil above the seeds either when it is wet to avoid creating a hard crust the seedlings need to force their way through. Especially in clay. So getting the soil beneath the seeds wet sounds like a good idea to me. They do need moisture to sprout.

VA_LongBean

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Most everything I planted grew except for four: Piet Special, Pinkeye purple hull (extremely old seeds btw), store bought blackeyed pea (Iberia brand) and my African cowpeas. A few of the African, one of the Iberia, and possibly one pinkeye came up. The Piet seeds were still there and seemed to be turning soft. I've replanted all four of these and hope the warmer nights will be kind to these seeds. Next up, severe weather. WOOOOOOO!

King of the garden lima may also need replanting, but for the most part my timing for this crazy spring was about perfect.

Next week the oldest tomatoes and peppers go out if they keep growing well.

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@aftermidnight
Annette this is my Pienky Jas. The one with the string. We attached a board to the side of the bed, I think this will work. It's about 8' high.

As for the rest of the picture. These mutant greens were picked 3 days ago! You can watch these rascals grow!

IMG_4996.jpg

Latest posts