2018 Little Easy Bean Network - Join Us In Saving Amazing Heirloom Beans

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wish the northern U.S. as far of any area where the JB's live would have just one super cold winter and freeze the ground so deep that it would wipe out all the larvae. Don't suppose that's going to happen. They actually have never killed any of my bean plants, but they sure do look like hell by the time the JB's are done for the season.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wish the northern U.S. as far of any area where the JB's live would have just one super cold winter and freeze the ground so deep that it would wipe out all the larvae. Don't suppose that's going to happen. They actually have never killed any of my bean plants, but they sure do look like hell by the time the JB's are done for the season.

sadly, i've seen no evidence that deep freezes make any difference. we had quite a cold winter (i think it was three years ago) and the following year they were swarming the wild grape vines... and last year was also pretty cold for the extended season we had and i'm seeing plenty this year too. like i said, i'm trying to train the birdies to eat them as there's no other method i like that will work.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Actually what will lower the JB's population is very little rain from August 1st to about November 1st. Less than 13 inches during that period. With dry soil most of the beetle eggs won't hatch and the winter freeze will finish off many of the eggs.

Last edited:

Beanfan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
The Sarconi 1's I started in pots indoors have beaten all the direct-sowed pole beans and produced their first pods now.

Attachments

• Sarconi 1 8:18.jpeg
    Sarconi 1 8:18.jpeg
    84.4 KB · Views: 185

Beanfan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Actually what will lower the JB's population is very little rain from August 1st to about November 1st. Less than 13 inches during that period. With dry soil most of the beetle eggs won't hatch and the winter freeze will finish off many of the eggs.
I think this must be why we don't have them out here in the Pacific NW since we have dry summers.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think this must be why we don't have them out here in the Pacific NW since we have dry summers.

i hope that is it as you sure don't want them getting out there. i don't really consider them a major pest but they sure can shred some leaves and make an otherwise healthy plant look a bit beat up. i have a lot more damage from deer/groundhogs/rabbits than compared to what the JBs do...

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

The Japanese beetle came to the U.S. east coast in 1916 on a shipment of iris bulbs. They have slowly been working there way westward.

Check out the text below. This comes from a Oregon Department of Agriculture site.

Japanese beetle adults are active flyers and frequently fly short distances between plants. The beetle is capable of flying up to five miles with the help of the wind. Natural spread by flying adults will gradually expand the beetle’s distribution in the U.S. Long distance expansion and new introductions are usually aided by commercial activities. Grubs are easily transported long distances as hitchhikers on shipments of plant material usually associated with roots and soil. Adults may be carried in planes, trains, or automobiles to uninfested areas. The Oregon Department of Agriculture (ODA) routinely inspects cargo airplanes arriving from infested areas during the adult flight season. Isolated infestations of the Japanese beetle have been found in California, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, and Utah.

https://www.oregon.gov/ODA/shared/Documents/Publications/IPPM/JapaneseBeetleFactSheet.pdf

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some more fun with old seed catalogs. Jumping to the Burpee 1963 catalog. Seems Burpee was very much into putting photos of Zinnias on it's cover. Bean varieties listed in this issue are below the catalog image. More still recognizable varieties of beans as we get into more modern catalogs.

Burpee - 1963.jpg

"Bush Snap Beans"
Burpee's Tenderpod
Burpee's Stringless Greenpod
Bountiful
Executive
Garden Green
Greencrop
Improved Tendergreen
Topcrop
Resistent Asgrow Valentine
Wade

"Bush Snap Wax Beans"
Burpee's Brittle Wax
Surecrop
Kinghorn Wax
Pencil Pod
Rustproof Golden Wax

"Bush Dry Beans"
Dwarf Horticultural
Red Kidney
White Marrowfat

"Pole Beans"
Blue Lake White Seeded
Wren's Egg
Kentucky Wonder Rust Resistant
Kentucky Wonder Wax
McCaslan
Burpee's Golden
Kentucky Wonder

"Bush Limas"
Burpee's Fordhook
Burpee's Improved Bush Lima
Fordhook 242
Baby Fordhook Bush Lima
Henderson Bush Lima

"Pole Limas"
Burpee's Big 6
Burpee's Best
Carolina
Burpee's Giant Podded
King Of The Garden

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Japanese beetle came to the U.S. east coast in 1916 on a shipment of iris bulbs. They have slowly been working there way westward.

Check out the text below. This comes from a Oregon Department of Agriculture site.

Japanese beetle adults are active flyers and frequently fly short distances between plants. The beetle is capable of flying up to five miles with the help of the wind. Natural spread by flying adults will gradually expand the beetle’s distribution in the U.S. Long distance expansion and new introductions are usually aided by commercial activities. Grubs are easily transported long distances as hitchhikers on shipments of plant material usually associated with roots and soil. Adults may be carried in planes, trains, or automobiles to uninfested areas. The Oregon Department of Agriculture (ODA) routinely inspects cargo airplanes arriving from infested areas during the adult flight season. Isolated infestations of the Japanese beetle have been found in California, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, and Utah.

https://www.oregon.gov/ODA/shared/Documents/Publications/IPPM/JapaneseBeetleFactSheet.pdf

hopefully the really big gap of drylands will help keep them out... i wish everyone the best of luck with them for sure. i can't believe that the birds haven't figured out yet to eat them or why. they don't fly fast and are very easy pickings in the morning...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some more fun with old seed catalogs. Jumping to the Burpee 1963 catalog. Seems Burpee was very much into putting photos of Zinnias on it's cover. Bean vareities listed in this issue are below the catalog image. More still recognizable varieties of beans as we get into more modern catalogs.

View attachment 27805
"Bush Snap Wax Beans"
Burpee's Brittle Wax
Surecrop
Kinghorn Wax
Pencil Pod
Rustproof Golden Wax

i was interested in the Top Notch history and derivations of that name and came across this:

'Golden Wax Improved' was bred by Rogers Brothers Company of Idaho Falls, Idaho and released in 1959. It is a stabilized cross between 'Early Puregold' and 'Top Notch Golden Wax'. It is reportedly resistant to common, New York 15 virus.

via:

https://www.victoryseeds.com/bean_golden-wax-imp.html

with the way that names can change or be replaced by marketing copywriters it's always a challenge to figure out if some variety is just yet another variation of naming, but is really the same as something else you've already got.

then when you start getting into the various breeding programs and releases from agricultural departments of such common varieties as the red or pinto bean it can get even more fun. :)

Latest posts