1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Do you eat corn beef - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

2019 tomato list

Discussion in 'Fruits & Vegetables' started by Collector, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Mar 14, 2019
    thejenx

thejenx Deeply Rooted

I love tomatoes, but 30 varieties takes a lot of time. I'm moving in April and the new place needs renovating, so less time for gardening. I save my own seeds so we can trade when I have more time. Now it's getting hectic, were getting the keys in 2 weeks!

Collector and Michigan_Nick like this.
  2. Mar 14, 2019
    Michigan_Nick

Michigan_Nick Garden Ornament

That's very exciting (not the less gardening part though :\)! I wish you the best of luck on the move. I'll be moving here soon also so I understand where you're coming from. My seedling will be started in my new "home" and continued container gardening for me for the upcoming season.

3. Mar 14, 2019
    Zeedman

Zeedman Deeply Rooted

Nicoviotis Orange (mid-sized orange "beefsteak" slicer)
    Black Pepper (large, elongated "black" paste *)
    Gogosha (large pink slicer, potato-leaf)
    Czechoslovakian (large red plum-type paste)
    Elfin (OP red grape)
    San Marzano Redorta (large, elongated red paste)
    Gilbert Italian Plum (very large red paste)

Possibly a couple others, if I can find space elsewhere (friends or family):
    Cherry Roma (red cherry)
    Snickers ("black" sauce/paste *)
    Quebec 1121 (early red paste)

* The "black" tomatoes really ripen on the shelf to somewhere between brick red & chocolate brown. Both are Russian heirlooms. Snickers is a little too juicy for paste, but dissolves quickly into a rich sauce when cooked. One of the most prolific tomatoes I've grown... and what you would expect an heirloom to look like. ;)
    028.JPG

Elfin is DW's favorite snacking tomato, and the only tomato I grow every year. More compact plants than most cherry types, and really loaded... I think the plants use hundreds of green tomatoes in lieu of foliage. Tiny seeds, and very meaty - they don't explode when you bite them.

I'm trying to grow fewer varieties than the 12-13 tomatoes I've usually grown, to give them greater separation & concentrate on keeping them pure. There will be more plants of each paste type to make up for that. A couple promiscuous varieties (such as Federle) consistently showed too much crossing, and had to be dropped. I restored one crossed variety (Roughwood Golden Plum) because sources were few; but it took several years, and I don't have time or space to make a habit of doing that.