2019 tomato list

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good tomatoes too; large, easy to remove seeds, and most have good flavor. I generally grow one oxheart variety each year. Hungarian Heart is one of the most productive tomatoes I've grown, and many swear by it. I can substitute oxhearts for paste tomatoes when making canned salsa, the prep goes quickly due to their large size (most are 8 oz. or more) and the results flavorwise are very good... but they are a little juicier than the paste types, @seedcorn , so probably not what you are looking for. When using oxhearts for canned salsa, I ladle off the excess juice until I get the consistency I want.

But for the most part, I prefer to use oxhearts fresh, especially chopped for tacos or salads. Their mild, sweet flavor is well suited to fresh use. They make a great sauce too, but it takes awhile to cook down.
Oh I love the oxhearts!!!

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
my plan this season was to limit the number of tomato varieties being started and kind of whittle it down to my top 3. That plan is now out because there is lots of seeds I have not tried lol. Here is what has been seeded
NYers
*Phoenix
Shoshone
*Bushsteak Hybrid
Sunsugar
*Sweet millions
*Jelly bean (yellow)
Those that have the asterisk by them we have not grown before. If anyone has grown any of these before let me know what to expect. What are you trying that is new to you?
Tomatoes are a hot seasonal crop that dies back when cold temperatures are at risk. ... You can, however, grow tomatoes indoors, but they are typically smaller and produce less prolificly than their summer cousins. Choose the right varieties while growing indoor tomatoes and read tips on how to grow tomatoes indoors.

Latest posts