2020 Little Easy Bean Network - An Exciting Adventure In Heirloom Beans !

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Blossoming Alice Sunshine in a pot. Nice view after 6 months break.

Alice Sunshine.jpg

Landrace from north-eastern Poland already has small pods.

Użranki1.jpg

This is what seeds look like.

Użranki.jpg

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since it's time for many people to start planting I'll post these. Our seasons are a bit different.

This first is four different bush bean segregations that came from the Will Bonsall beans I got from Russ. This is the third time I've grown two of them. If they are "true" again I'll consider them stabilized. This will be the second time I've grown the others. They were true the first time but that doesn't mean a lot with these beans. I keep getting surprises.
4 Bush 4-1.jpg

Not sure how well you can see this. One of my Jas is almost 4' high already. It's another Will Bonsall bean which has so far been true. Hopefully I can call this one stabilized.
Jas 4-1.jpg

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought was was in the twilight zone this morning. I kept clicking on the Fruits And Vegetables Forums and kept coming up with 2019 Little Easy Bean Network. Then I went and cleared the browsing data on the my settings for the browser and 2019 still kept coming up. For a minute I thought I was going to have to reboot my computer. Then I realized Reedy probably didn't see the 2020 thread because it has slipped down the forum page lately. Oh well. Keeps you thinking.

Everyone might enjoy taking a look at the new Network pages on the website. There are now 9 pages instead of 5. I did a write up on all the the beans or what ever I could find out about them. I hope the new Network pages are an improvement. Spent all last week at this.

Last edited:

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ, some corrections. Ausmus Holler, Midnight at the Oasis, and Voodoo are segregations grown from solid black beans I found in Bluejay. I got the Bluejay seed from Canada, can't remember which seller. Those black beans showed up the first time I grew them. I'd claim Bluejay as the parent.

Interestingly all three of those are pole beans while Bluejay is bush. I've grown Ausmus Holler and Voodoo once and all those grow-outs were pole, Both produced a "black" version and a white version. The AH Black has a faint brown pattern, especially when immature. The Voodoo Black version is based on purple and can also have a faint pattern. That brown and purple is how I knew them to be different segregations.

I've got the black version of both planted now and sort of expect some bush to start showing up. If I remember correctly pole is dominant over bush. If I had more room I'd like to plant the white version too. Not that I want more white beans but just to see what segregations might show up.

This stuff is fun!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is basically for Flowerbug.

My first bloom on network beans this year. Banzala is a bush bean that descends from Will Bonsall outcrosses I got from Russ. Banzala makes a large black bean, dry, not snap. Notice the color of that bloom, many I got from the Will Bonsall beans are that pretty. I've grown it twice previously and it has been true. If it makes it this year I'll consider it stabilized.

Banzala Bloom.jpg

The bean I planted.
Banzala.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is basically for Flowerbug.

My first bloom on network beans this year. Banzala is a bush bean that descends from Will Bonsall outcrosses I got from Russ. Banzala makes a large black bean, dry, not snap. Notice the color of that bloom, many I got from the Will Bonsall beans are that pretty. I've grown it twice previously and it has been true. If it makes it this year I'll consider it stabilized.

View attachment 35002

The bean I planted.
View attachment 35003

i've not found any black beans that do not have a pink or purple flower that i can recall, but i'm sure as soon as i post this someone here might have an example. :) still beautiful. :)

Latest posts