2020 Little Easy Bean Network - An Exciting Adventure In Heirloom Beans !

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Artorius,

Great photos of your beans ! What is your camera? What do you use for a background?

Thanks Bluejay. My camera is nothing special. Small, automatic Nikon Coolpix L31. I used an old dinner plate as background. It's a little tired, so sometimes I have to retouch the background. This can be seen in the first photo in the lower right corner. I didn't notice it before :) However, the bright colors of beans and tomatoes are clearly visible.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Come on over to the Random Rambling subforum.

Aftermidnight Annette's husband has posted about how his wife (of 64 years ;)) is doing.

Jim may be back soon. Send Annette a message if you'd like. You can do that on the "How Ya Doin?" thread on Random Ramblings.

Steve

So Since I can not find the post about Aftermidnight by (Annette Barley's husband) can you tell us what he said? Would like to know what information he has about Annette.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Post number 40 in this thread.

Hi ya-all,
My name is Jim, I've been Annette's other half for the past 64 years and she's asked me to post an update of what's happening.
First like most others everywhere we've been hunkered down because of this "covid19" thingy. Vancouver island got on top of it pretty quick so we only ever had 1 case, and have been clear for some days now.
Annette can't handle the computer right now, she had radiation for brain tumors and it has messed with her eyesight and motor skills.
She can't check her emails so if anyone would care to get a message to her maybe try me and I'll see she gets it.
"jbarley at shaw.ca"
Annette spent most of last year in a hospital bed, first with a broken ankle then soon followed by a broken knee. She still spends her days in bed totally frustrated.
Annette misses all her friends on the forum and sends everyone a big hug.
Regards.
Jim Barley.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
today, finished weeding and planting the area of the north garden with the last of the beans i'm putting in.

in looking around at all the gardens planted so far i think i have some beans of everything i planted coming up so far so perhaps those early adzuki beans will actually come through for me after all.

in a few more days i should know better. :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
2020 planting list. i think this is all of them... :)

Anasazi (pole) (SP) (2019)
Appaloosa (pole) (V) (2018)
Brown Lima (pole) (N) ()
Cha Kura Kake Soy (edamame) (Z) ()
Dapple Grey (bush, dry) (N) (2019)
Domino Child South Garden (bush, dry) (P) (2019)
Domino Child Light (#2) () (P) (2019)
Domino Child Dark (#3) () (P) (2019)
Early Warwick (bush, dry) (N) (2019)
Etna (bush, dry) (V) (2018-2019)
Fordhook Lima (bush) (G) (2017-2019)
Fortex (pole) (Z) (2019)
Galopka (bush, wax) (NSW) ()
Hidatsa Shield (semi, dry) (N) (2019)
Hopi Lima (pole) (Z) (2019)
Lemon Slice (semi) (P) (2019)
Monster (bush) (P) (2018)
Monster Child South Garden (bush) (P) (2019)
Monster Child Gray Solid () (P) (2019)
Monster Child Dapple Grey () (P) (2019)
Monster Child Half Olive () (P) (2019)
Monster Child Light Half () (P) (2019)
Montville (bush, dry) (N) ()
Nonna Agnes Blue (pole, snap) (N) ()
Painted Pony (bush, dry) (V) (2017)
Pheasant () (P) (2019)
Pisarecka Zlutoluske (bush, dry) (N) (2016)
Purple Dove (bush, snap, dry) (NP) (2019 Early selection)
comparison planting:
Purple Diamond (bush) (N) (2019)
Purple Dove (bush) (N)
Purple Rain (bush) (N) (2016)
Purple Rose (bush) (N) (2016)
Red Ryder (bush, dry) (V) (2019)
Reddish Pere (bush, dry) (P) (2019)
Sacre Bleu (pole) (SS) (2019)
Sieva Lima (pole) (Z) (2017)
Takara Early Adzuki (bush) (GLSS) ()
Tan Goats Eye (bush) (VP) (2016)
Top Notch (bush, wax) (N) (2014)
True Red Cranberry (pole) (Z) (2014)
Venda (bush, snap) (N) (2014)
Yellow Eye (semi,dry) (P) (2019)
Yellow Soldier () (P) (2018)

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This is just amazing to me, I never knew there were so many beans. I'm really fascinated. Thank you for sharing.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is just amazing to me, I never knew there were so many beans. I'm really fascinated. Thank you for sharing.

it's amazing how many there are and each year i get new crosses showing up to figure out. i have so many now that i can't plant them all each year. if you get a chance go back and read the other bean threads too as there are a lot of good pictures and information there too. :)

i try to devote at least a quarter of my plantings to figuring out crosses or to experiment (all of the Domino Children and Monster Children are crosses that showed up last year), Pheasant, Lemon Slice, Reddish Pere and Yellow Soldier are also crosses i've found and am figuring out...

i also plant a lot of intermixed beans with the sole intention of getting even more crosses - like almost all of the Purple Dove beans i planted this year are alternated planted so that they have more chances to cross. i planted maybe a few thousand of those alone, and a lot of Red Ryder beans which i also hope to get more crosses from, but also because i want a good crop of beans to eat too. :)

Last edited:

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
it's amazing how many there are and each year i get new crosses showing up to figure out. i have so many now that i can't plant them all each year. if you get a chance go back and read the other bean threads too as there are a lot of good pictures and information there too. :)
Oh my goodness there is no end too this incredible site, I keep getting lost. If I go missing for a week or so please send out a search party :love or maybe not , I can't think of a better place to be lost in. I'll keep on searching for these beans. I really like chillies and spices in them. For now I have to stick with the packets and tins until I get my ground ready for planting.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh my goodness there is no end too this incredible site, I keep getting lost. If I go missing for a week or so please send out a search party :love or maybe not , I can't think of a better place to be lost in. I'll keep on searching for these beans. I really like chillies and spices in them. For now I have to stick with the packets and tins until I get my ground ready for planting.

there are some UK seed savers so you should be in good company there for finding some more locally. :) i also think your climate is more moderate which will make a lot of difference for some varieties. as here i can barely grow any of those that are sensitive to heat. we just get too hot here... send up a flare or a bean pole... :)

Latest posts