2020 Little Easy Bean Network - An Exciting Adventure In Heirloom Beans !

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug There is a strip of trees on the east side of the garden, trees on the south side. On the north side is the driveway, then Pasture #1 which has trees also. Much of our property is wooded, we have cleared a lot of it, but left a lot of trees.

This picture shows the garden, the gate is on the left. The strip of trees in the background is on the east side.

View attachment 36755

This picture shows the trees on the south side. The small shelter in the lower left is the Pig Palace. The Pig Palace and the pen are adjacent to the garden. the pen has trees in it, the pigs enjoy their shade. On the other side of the Pig Palace is a pipeline right of way, beyond that is neighbor's land, heavily wooded.

View attachment 36756

So it's not like we are sitting in a flat open 100 acres for the wind to sweep through.

Aridity? We are on sugar sand. Think Florida beach without the ocean. Water goes right through it. We have amended with compost, manure, wood chips, hay, and finally have black, rich soil about a foot deep. Clay? Don't make me laugh!

a little will help a lot.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
It must be really dry there - the trees look the worse for wear, more like Autumn. Chances are that a strong blow will leave the deciduous trees bare. The rain should do wonders for the garden, though. :fl

Those pictures were taken in October 2 years ago. I used them to illustrate that my garden has windbreaks. Sharp eye you've got there! LOL

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just found out that Remy, owner of the Sample Seed Shop, died on August 6. I have over a dozen varieties of beans from her, and this year I grow Mr. Tung, Tennessee Greasy Mix and Jembo Polish.
This is sad news to start the day.

Another wonderful gardener & seed steward has left us. :( For several years, we shared conversations & several seed swaps on another forum. I had the great pleasure of meeting Remy once in person, at the Berea KY seed swap. She was as gracious, generous, and vibrant in person as she was online. My deepest heartfealt condolences to the family. :hugs

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i managed to get some of one garden picked through yesterday before the rains came. today and tonight are more rain in the forecast. i think i have a lot of dry beans ready to pick so i hope they don't rot before i can get them picked through again.

one thing that will help a lot though is the temperatures will be 10-15F less than what has been usual. we can both here appreciate a break in the heat. so many projects to get back to and still a lot of the season yet to go.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the first picking of any significant Fordhook Lima beans of the bush kind and it may either be location or weather this season, but the beans are all well formed and not much rot happened in this part of the crop. yes, a lot of dry weather up until now for the past two to three weeks. i also made sure to get some water on them at least once a week or so. in the past i've had a lot of beans that were partially formed so it was interesting to see while shelling them out this evening that they were almost every single one well formed and fully developed even if some of the beans were small.

i haven't had a chance to check the other gardens yet to see how those plantings have gone (planted a few days to a week later or so).

and

oh drats, my brain is too tired to remember exactly all that i was noticing while i was shelling some of the four purple beans i grew (to compare them). i am noticing differences in both pods and seeds in various ways but i will actually have to write them down. tomorrow i might have a chance to refresh my memory. :) good night bean friends. :)

been raining a lot the past day and a half. wonder how many dry beans i didn't get picked in time. i think i got most of them, but i know i didn't get them all...

Last edited:

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Another wonderful gardener & seed steward has left us. :( For several years, we shared conversations & several seed swaps on another forum. I had the great pleasure of meeting Remy once in person, at the Berea KY seed swap. She was as gracious, generous, and vibrant in person as she was online. My deepest heartfealt condolences to the family. :hugs

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
As you know I'm not able to be on here much anymore, but hearing about Remy has really hit me hard. although we never meet in person counted her a good friend. I was her source of the Mr. Tung beans and she mine when I was on the hunt. My thoughts are with her family. Typing with one finger is the pits, radiation has screwed up my eyesight as well but I keep trucking on. I usually get hubby to answer my emails for me, I just dictate, much easier for me.
Annette

i

saritabee

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I had someone pose a bean question just now that I don't know the answer to, but I figured you guys would! :)

She is a Master Gardener but not much of a bean person. She grew scarlet runners this year, and started picking crunchy-dried pods today to save the seeds -- and there aren't mature seeds inside the crunchy-dry pods. Any ideas on what could have gone wrong?

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
the first picking of any significant Fordhook Lima beans of the bush kind and it may either be location or weather this season, but the beans are all well formed and not much rot happened in this part of the crop. yes, a lot of dry weather up until now for the past two to three weeks. i also made sure to get some water on them at least once a week or so. in the past i've had a lot of beans that were partially formed so it was interesting to see while shelling them out this evening that they were almost every single one well formed and fully developed even if some of the beans were small.

i haven't had a chance to check the other gardens yet to see how those plantings have gone (planted a few days to a week later or so).

and

oh drats, my brain is too tired to remember exactly all that i was noticing while i was shelling some of the four purple beans i grew (to compare them). i am noticing differences in both pods and seeds in various ways but i will actually have to write them down. tomorrow i might have a chance to refresh my memory. :) good night bean friends. :)

been raining a lot the past day and a half. wonder how many dry beans i didn't get picked in time. i think i got most of them, but i know i didn't get them all...
Fordhook are good limas. My German Butterbean pole limas have been ripening for about a week, but since the weather was dry (until recently) I've been letting them dry on the plant for seed. Even when it rained, DW & I went out between waves to pick dry & near-dry pods; and after drying them with a towel, put them under a fan to dry. All of the limas, yardlongs. and soybeans brought in from the rain have now been shelled, and appear to be unspoiled.
Today, I broke down & picked a few of the limas to sample as butterbeans... wow! those were good! :drool DW & DD loved them, so I harvested the rest of the ripe pods to cook a kettle full.

There is almost a full tray of seed from the Sierra Madre yardlong bean; its amazing how fast those pods go from green to dry. In the rural garden, the Filipino cowpeas (Paayap) have started to dry, I picked the first hand full today. The Czechoslovakian purple pole beans have also started to dry.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We got a half inch of rain from being on the outskirts of hurricane Laura, the next day got 1/4" of rain. It settled the dust. Last night a hard rain woke me up and it is still drizzling. Don't know yet how much rain, but hoping it is enough to deep water the soil. Maybe now my bean pods will stop falling off.

Latest posts