2020 Little Easy Bean Network - An Exciting Adventure In Heirloom Beans !

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted Tartan last Spring 2019. This first shot is the bean I planted.

Tartan.jpg

I got four different segregations, shown below, none quite identical to what I planted in color but the pattern was similar. The one marked "A" below was close. Tartan was a semirunner. A, B, and C below were also semi-runners. D was a bush plant so you can see it is still segregating.

Tartn Results.jpg

When I clear my other beds I plan on planting B and D. I don't have room to plant the other two but plan on saving them and maybe trying them later. I have limited room and had to select one to try to stabilize. They are all every pretty. I do want to see what develops from this line. I have very few beans of each color and hesitate to risk them in the mail to Poland. Hopefully I can get better productivity this time around.

When I grew Karachaganak last year I had one that was a bush. It looks like Karachaganak so no change in that. I plan to plant Kara Bush later this spring also. I'd really like top stabilize a bush variety of that.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
A few years ago you also showed bean, which you called Stinking Creek. Have you grown it since then?

I only got four seeds off of that plant, two not in great shape. When I planted it none came up. Unfortunately Stinking Creek is lost. It's the only segregation I had that year that I did not have enough to send any to Russ.

That was a rough spring. I used a system that I'd plant some "production" beans, bush snap beans. If those came up then the ground was warm enough to plant the network beans. That year the snap beans came up fine so I planted the network beans. The weather turned cold and wet. Cold and wet enough that only one of the network beans came up, a single Miss T. I had to replant everything but had no more Stinking Creek to plant.

@Bluejay77 sort of the same story for Hogeye. Those were both from the WB #38. None from #38 were tremendously productive. I sent you almost all the Hogeye I had, 44 beans by my records. I held back just enough for one planting the next year. Those were lost to me. It probably won't help you but this is the photo I kept of Hogeye.

38E.JPG

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 Somehow I can't seem to open your website, is it just me?

@thejenx @Bluejay77 writes above:

"In another note The Bean Collectors Window website is down for a little while. I canceled my Godaddy web hosting. Going to move the site to another website hosting service. Might be a couple of days before my site is back up again."

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I only got four seeds off of that plant, two not in great shape. When I planted it none came up. Unfortunately Stinking Creek is lost. It's the only segregation I had that year that I did not have enough to send any to Russ.

yeah, when beans come along in that condition there's not much hope for good results, you might get lucky, but usually i've not had any results from beans like those... :(

regarding Tartan, when i've had a few patterns show up looking like those as of yet they've not been stable. i aptly accepted Mom's name for one of them when i called it Dominoes because it has certainly spun off a lot of tiles of different colors and patterns - the other i aptly named Monster and it is living up to the name too by giving off a lot of very large bush beans where most of the plants are giving good sized beans and also plenty of seeds. Monster came to me via Dapple Grey from @Bluejay77 and it has also given me back Dapple Grey which is unlikely to be stable so i'm going to plant those again too.

i still have a good stock of seeds from Monster to keep planting to see what other segregations are going to come about or perhaps (and would be even better) if i can get some more of certain seeds that i only have a few of at the moment. like you experienced it will be a risk to plant them all. Dominoes i think i have a hundred of those left - based upon the patterns coming from them they look like the parents were Vermont Appaloosa and Money beans - but of course i'm a biased parent in thinking that some of the children are much prettier than the adults.

it's like being in the middle of an explosion. kinda messy and interesting if you survive. :)

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
When beans come out shriveled and sunken. The germination tends to be very low. Must be poor development. Perhaps no embroyo in the seed or not enough food for the plant to get started or amino acids to get the embroyo going.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah. two of those Stinking Creek I really had no hope, even if one had germinated I'd have expected a weak sickly plant. But the other two looked really good, especially as they aged a little. I remember them as a red starburst pattern, really pretty. They were not shriveled and sunken. I totally blame that week of bad weather for those two not germinating.

Those photos were taken when I was using my camera, before I got my cell phone. That camera was self-focusing, I could not get good photos with it. I still occasionally have some issues with my cell phone camera, I think sometimes it doesn't know what to focus on. But it is orders of magnitude better than that older camera. None of those old photos are very good.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Ridgerunner,

Is your cell phone a smartphone? If it is you need to tap the screen when you have the camera app going and the camera app will focus the image even better. For those of you that have flip phones by the end of the year all the supporting infastructure for those phones will be gone and flip phones won't connect to anything anymore. They will be rendered useless.

Latest posts