2020 Little Easy Bean Network - An Exciting Adventure In Heirloom Beans !

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug,

Maybe the Orca beans have always been bush beans to you, but I got a hold of an Orca from a seed seller and it was definitely a semi runner. I used to have the name of the company on my spreadsheet, but somewhere along the line I deleted the entry because I stopped growing it after I got this Orca from Harriet Mella.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ's 2020 Bean Show - Day 20

Pale Grey Lavender - Pole Dry. A very beautiful gray and very productive bean that I got from Guy Dirix in Meise, Belgium in 2018. The maroon colored eye ring is a lovely contrast to the base color. I have put it on my website not long agao and it has already attracted plenty of attention.

Paul Bunyan Giant - Pole Snap. Obtained from the New Zealand Bean Project in 2011. An American variety which must be very old it doesn't even get mention in the Book Beans Of New York published n 1931. A tough time trying to grow this bean for the second year in a row. My entire 2020 seed crop of this bean is in the photo.

Pale Grey Lavender.jpg Paul Bunyan Giant.jpg
Pale Grey Lavender.......................................................Paul Bunyan Giant

Pecatonica - Bush Dry. One of the many beans sent to me in 2015 as an outcross from Will Bonsall of Industry, Maine of The Scattered Seed Project fame. The bean is very pretty, but still has not stablized. Also produces only one segregation. A typical cranberry looking bean each time I've grown this bean. Second photo is it's seagregation.

Pecatonica.jpg Pecatonica OT.jpg
Pecatonica.....................................................................................Pecatonica Segregation

Penny Prince - Bush Dry. Another of the many outcrosses sent to me in 2015 by Will Bonsall. Name after a comic book character I saw in an antique shop in Florida. The bean is also small. Since a penny is our smallest demonination of our currency and the color of the bean sort of went along with the idea of a penny I thought the name of that comic book character was a perfect fit. This year the bean produced a black segregation of the same seed coat pattern which is in the second Photo.

Penny Prince.jpg Penny Prince Off Type.jpg
Penny Prince..................................................................Penny Prince Segretation 2020

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ's 2020 Bean Show - Day 21

Peruvian Goose - Pole Dry. Just by it's name it's probably South American in origin. There was a lady in Colorado by the name of Amy Hawk. She joined Seed Savers Exchange just for one year to collect all sorts of heirloom beans then developed her own website to sell beans as "Simply Beans''. She gardened at 6,500 foot elevation. I found her website in the late summer of 2011 and bought a number of beans from her and this is one of them. Produces a nice crop of beans productively in a good season.

Ping Zebra Outcross - Pole Lima. After growing out Ping Zebra in 2017 I found this red lima with bluish markings on it. I had grown Ping zebra in 2014 and no off types were produced that year. However I think I have figured out that Ping Zebra did cross with Ganymede in 2014 because it grew only two varieties away from Ping Zebra and was the only lima I grew that year that had any blue or purple in it's markings.

Peruvian Goose.jpg Ping Zebra Red Off Type.jpg
Peruvian Goose...........................................................Ping Zebra Outcross

Ping Zebra Outcross Segregation - Pole Lima So I grew the the Ping Zebra Outcross this year after leaving the seed sit in a large ziploc baggie in my basement for three years. It had produced a quite an abundance of beans in 2017. I had been using some of the beans to mix into my bean soup and baked bean cassaroles from time to time and I had thought I should try to grow some of these red Ping Zebra Outcrossed seeds before they are all gone. I am glad I did as the result was interesting and found this bean about the same size as Ping Zebra with some extra markings on it and the bean wound up to be a little earlier than it seed mother also. To say the least I am looking forward to growing this one out in 2021.

Ping Zebra Outcross Segregation #2 - Pole Lima. Picking through the seeds of this segregated bean I also found some the same sized bean but some that appear to have no markings and looks very similar to Ping Zebra.

Ping Zebra Red Off Type Seg 1.jpg Ping Zebra Off Type Seg 1.jpg
Ping Zebra Outcross Segregation..............................Ping Zebra Outcross Segregation #2

Ping Zebra X Pinwheel - Pole Lima - About two years ago I got some limas from a fellow in Missouri that has a lima collection. He likes to do crosses with them and he does these crosses successfully. He sent me this cross and this summer I grew it out for the first time. Pinwheel is a larger lima than Ping Zebra and is dark maroon with white radiating lines from the eye. This bean is the result of this particular cross. He told me he wasn't excited about the result of this cross and he doesn't grow this one very much and if I thought of a name for it let him know. So I can name this Lima of his if I want to.

Pink Trout - Bush Dry. I had grown this bean back in the early 1980's. It's origin was an outcross from the bean collection of the Seed Savers Exchange member the late Ernest B. Dana of Etna, New Hampshire. Ernie liked the Jacob's Cattle pattern on beans and he would send me some of his outcrosses once in a while and this is one of them that he sent to me. This year I've had better results with the color and next year I think the soil I'm going to grow it in I think will really let this bean shine.

Ping Zebra X Pinwheel.jpg Pink Trout.jpg
Ping Zebra X Pinwheel................................................Pink Trout

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Given that Ping Zebra comes from China (I assume) and Christmas lima is grown on such a massive scale there, I wonder if Ping is itself a cross or segregation of Christmas. I know from my own seed hunts that some odd crosses can show up in the population.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Given that Ping Zebra comes from China (I assume) and Christmas lima is grown on such a massive scale there, I wonder if Ping is itself a cross or segregation of Christmas. I know from my own seed hunts that some odd crosses can show up in the population.

I really believe that seed that Joseph Simcox gave me of Ping Zebra Was not crossed. The first year I grew it there was no off types at all. So the first time I grew it is where the crossing had to have occured. I really think that Ganymede which grew not far away from Ping is likely the male pollen donor.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are probably correct. I just always found it interesting that a bean whose seed coat so closely resembles Christmas could have come from an area where Christmas is so popular and there be no connection.

Then again, the Chinese do have a tendency to adopt things that resemble things they know but are seen as improvements. So maybe they look at Christmas as a bigger, better Ping's.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ's 2020 Bean Show - Day 22

Ping-A-Ling - Pole Lima. Bred by Curt Burroughs of Memphis, Missouri. He had a large lima collection and has done crosses by hand pollination. This is a cross of a black lima he has called Sons Of Thunder and Ping Zebra. However when I grew Ping-A-Ling this summer I got two other colors shown in the second and third photos.

Pink Emperor - Bush Dry. This is a new named bean of mine that I've been working on since 2014. Discovered it in African Premier in 2013. It has grown stable the last several years. I like the very subtle bluish undercolor beaneath the pink. Fairly large beans, long pods some up to 8 inches and massive productive plants.

Ping-A-Ling.jpg Ping-A-Ling Lavender.jpg
Ping-A-Ling.....................................................................Ping-A-Ling Off Type 1

Ping-A-Ling Black.jpg Pink Emperor.jpg
Ping-A-Ling Off Type 2.................................................Pink Emperor

Prinsesse Off Type- Bush Dry. I got an off type bean of Prinsesse from Soren Holt of the Danish Seed Savers about 2012. This drab looking bean showed up in 2014 in large numbers in the off type grow out and I had added some of them to soup I made once and I really like them. So the seed has been sitting in jars and a ziploc baggie in the basement since 2014 and here is another bean I decided to grow out before the seed gets too old.

Prolific Black Wax - Bush Snap. An old wax bean from a very long time ago. Selected from several plants by Calvin Keeney and William Woodbridge Tracy Senior in a field of German Black Wax in Genesee county New York. Introduced in 1888 by several seed companies.

Prinsses Off Type.jpg Prolific Black Wax.jpg
Prinsesse Off Type........................................................Prolific Black Wax

Provider - Bush Snap. One of the great older commercial bush snap beans of the 1960's. Productive plants produce straight round pods.

Provider Outcross - Seed found in Provider in 2018 and I decided to grow it out to increase it's seed so I can plant more of them to give them a real meal time test.

Provider.jpg Provider Mottled Seed.jpg
Provider.......................................................................Provider Outcross
https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ's 2020 Bean Show - Day 23

Rabbit's Foot 6 - Bush Dry. There is a bunch of segregations in this Rabbit's Foot family of beans. For now this is just a working title. It hasn't put out any segregations in a quite a while. So seems very stable, but I wasn't happy with the quality of the seed it produced this year. Maybe the weather or the soil. There is a bunch of other color shadings in this group I should probaby switch off and give some of the others a try. I got the original Rabbit's foot in an order of Jacob's Cattle from Rancho Gordo in California. The odd seed I found 3 of them mixed in with Jacob's Cattle. Planted them and only got back three new seeds in our hot and hellishly dry 2012 summer. Planted those seeds again in 2013 and started to get some more segregations and a more segregations in 2014. I thought the original bean was lucky to have survived what it went through thus the name Rabbit's Foot.

Red Cattle - Bush Dry. Another bean acquired from Professor Juergen Klapprott in Germany. He tells me this bean and Black Cattle came to him from someone in the south of France. Both beans have grown true to type for me each time I've grown them and they do well wherever I've grown them

Rabbit's Foot 6.jpg Red Cattle.jpg
Rabbit's Foot 6............................................................Red Cattle

Red Eyed Ranger - Bush Dry. This is one of my original named beans from the early 1980's. It's seed mother is another of my orignal named beans of the early 80's called Cherry Trout. Red Eyed Ranger still is not stable, but I get a segregation from it that looks a bit like Jacob's Cattle and when that segregation is planted it grows true to type right away.

Red Eyed Ranger.jpg Red Eyed Ranger Off Type.jpg
Red Eyed Ranger........................................................Red Eyed Ranger off type (bush dry)

Ringwood - Pole. This bean I believe is a segregation of another outcross that I've been referring to as Super Bean. I found this one in the Super Bean planting of 2018 and it has grown true to type in 2019, and 2020.

Rode Soldatenboon (red soldier bean) - Bush Dry. Grows well everytime and in every different soil I plant it in. I got this bean from Jaanes Aalders in The Netherlands in 2013.

Ringwood.jpg Rode Soldatenboon.jpg
Ringwood.....................................................................Rode Soldatenboon

Latest posts