2020 Little Easy Bean Network - An Exciting Adventure In Heirloom Beans !

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Stretching the definition of "bean" a little further.

Gigandes - Greek runner bean, from a Gardenweb member in Alabama 2012. The largest bean of any kind that I grow; outstanding as a ripe shelly. Initially it under-performed here, I hoped that successive generations would be better adapted. That appeared to be the case the second year, which produced more than twice as much... so my hopes were up for this year, and I planted a 40' row. After great germination, the plants just sat there for most of the summer!?? The limas & pole beans adjacent to them grew normally. I have no idea what caused this; although runner beans may not set pods in hot weather, they've always grown & bloomed vigorously. The plants recovered somewhat in late summer, began climbing in late August, and produced 33 dry seeds before frost - which at least replaces what I to replanted with fresh seed.

Insuk's Wang Kong - heirloom from Gardenweb member Jim Wright in 2007. "Insuk" is his Korean wife's nickname, "Wang Kong" means "king bean". A red-flowered Scarlet Runner type, with a mix of all-black seeds, and seeds that are mostly purple, with black spots (a white-seeded impurity was successfully rogued out in the first generation). This was the 4th generation, and the bean has always been highly vigorous, with good heat tolerance for a runner bean, and a highly prolific dry seed producer. My last grow out produced over 5# of seed from a 30' row. The entire production this year, from a 27' row, is in the photo - and they are about 2/3 the size they should be. :idunno Like Gigandes, after great germination, they just sat there... but unlike Gigandes, they never recovered. Granted, they were initially choked by intensive weed pressure; but the row was cleaned in early July. Two gardens 6 miles apart; Gigandes from transplants at home, Insuk's direct seeded in the rural garden. I haven't a clue what could cause such severe stunting in both runner beans, and affect nothing else.
20201213_131532.jpg 20201213_131304.jpg

Shiraz - from @aftermidnight, a purple snow pea developed in the U.K.. This was the only pea I grew this year, because I wanted to ensure purity. The 2013 seed had almost 90% germination. The plants were vigorous, produced a lot of peas, and the mice which plagued my home garden were completely uninterested in them. DW & I loved the flavor, and snacked on the pods for nearly a month. Planted May 31st, they prospered in the summer weather, and produced 24 ounces of dry seed.
20201205_215620.jpg 20200725_104656.jpg

Adzuki "Buff" - from a Canadian SSE member in 2006, originally from a deceased collector in Arkansas. 100 days. True upright bush habit, with racemes of bright yellow flowers, and slim pods that turn tan when dry. An unusual color for adzuki; smaller seeds, and ripens much earlier than most red-seeded varieties. Extremely easy to shell. Normally a fairly high yielder; but like everything else in the rural garden, it was stunted by heavy weed pressure. Along with the 2 other varieties below, they were the last plants to get weeded in late July. They did recover late & set pods, I'm actually impressed that the plants produced even 1 ounce of dry seed under those conditions. The second photo below is the normal appearance of the bushes, in a previous year.

Black Kali Gram - a.k.a. "urd", from a late SSE member in Colorado, who stated that in Nepal (where it was collected) the dry beans were often fermented. 75 days & up. Sprawling, non-twining plants, with inconspicuous yellow-green flowers. Clusters of 4-6 tiny 2" pods turn black when dry. The powder-black seeds are smaller than green gram, 6-9 per pod... the stunted plants produced 1 ounce of seed before frost. This particular race is a mixture of both smooth-podded and hairy-podded plants, but the seeds are indistinguishable. In local ethnic groceries, these beans are sold hulled & split, as Urad Dal.
20201213_131921.jpg 100_1180.JPG 20201213_131731.jpg

Hyacinth bean, "India Bush" - from an SSE member, who stated they were given to them by a neighbor from India. That neighbor moved before the seed was sent to me; I suspect - but cannot prove - that this is similar/identical to "Valor Bean Lakshmi" sold by Seeds of India. True upright bush habit, although they might tip under pod load late in the season. Unlike most hyacinth beans, this variety is day-neutral, and flowers incredibly quickly in my latitude - 30 days after planting! The spikes of large white flowers are followed by clusters of flattened, dark green 3" pods. The cooked pods are like bean-flavored snow peas, and are borne all summer if kept picked. When dry, the pods shrink down over the seeds, and are difficult to shell. Like the adzuki above, the photo of the plants is of normal growth, taken in a previous year... and like the other varieties in that plot, it recovered late from stunting & produced about 1 ounce of dry seed before frost.
20201213_132111.jpg 040.JPG

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Zeedman

Inhibition of plants growth and reduction of seeds size may be caused by a deficiency of some of the elements such as phosphorus and calcium. Their absence in plants does not mean that they are not in the soil. Their absorption may be blocked by an excess of other elements or too low air or soil temperatures. Did you notice what color the IWK leaves were?

I knew that growing tepary beans in my climate could be difficult, but I wanted to try. I only had 5 Santa Rosa Brown seeds. The fact that I have increased their number is already a success for me.
Next year I will sow another variety, but according to what you wrote, it will grow separately. Thank you for the warning.

Last edited:

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Artorius , much of the stunting can be explained.

Everything in the rural garden was stunted to some degree by intense weed pressure (5 -10 weeds per square inch) and by the root damage caused when large weeds in the root zone were pulled. Once the weeding was completed though, all plants in that garden recovered to some degree - except the runner beans.

I considered nutrient deficiency as a cause; but I can't imagine it targeting only one species, when all other species in the same genus & related genera grew normally. Besides, I garden in a large area, and take great pains to rotate everything into locations where the same species has not been grown for at least one year. Beans are not notorious for depleting nutrients anyway; I've grown pole beans in large pots for successive years (or had them follow soybeans) and they did well.

Given that the rural plot was fallow & weed infested for two years, I also considered the possibility of allelopathy. I've observed that phenomenon before, affecting beans grown near the garden edges. In theory, although my home garden did not have a similar weed problem, it could also explain the symptoms in both runner beans - if the straw mulch used in both gardens was the cause. But again, since other beans & cowpeas planted directly adjacent grew normally, it is unlikely that allelopathy was the cause.

Nor is it likely that the seed was the cause, since the two runner beans were grown in different years, and in different gardens.

I briefly considered oedema, since that occasionally causes a brief period of stunting in young beans (especially yardlongs & cowpeas) and the appearance of the leaves was similar. But that only occurs in wet years, and like other potential causes, would affect plants throughout the garden.

This really is most unusual. The only explanation I have left is that something environmental had a pronounced effect that specifically targeted runner beans. There is some precedent for this theory. In 2017 some environmental factor adversely affected cowpeas only, and conversations with other gardeners (and with SSE's farm manager) confirmed that many gardeners over a wide area had experienced the same problem. Chances are that next year runner beans will grow normally, and that I'll never know what caused this. :idunno

Just as I'll never know the reason this website keeps inserting emojis not where I want them, but into random locations within my post - requiring multiple attempts to get it right. :mad:

Last edited:

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've observed that phenomenon before, affecting beans grown near the garden edges.

Since it was garden edges I'll mention another possibility. I'll let you evaluate if that might be it for you. Dad would grow tobacco and corn crops. He usually relocated them every year, sowing hay seed on the old spots. So they were always relocated in hay fields. The outside rows were often noticeably smaller than the rest of the field. I don't think it had anything to do with competition for sunlight, they would have grown differently. I think it was the roots of the hay growing over and competing for water. Maybe nutrients too but I'd think mostly water. We had some dry summers.

Just as I'll never know the reason this website keeps inserting emojis not where I want them, but into random locations within my post

When something like this happens to me I generally put it down to operator error. And I'm usually right.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since it was garden edges I'll mention another possibility. I'll let you evaluate if that might be it for you. Dad would grow tobacco and corn crops. He usually relocated them every year, sowing hay seed on the old spots. So they were always relocated in hay fields. The outside rows were often noticeably smaller than the rest of the field. I don't think it had anything to do with competition for sunlight, they would have grown differently. I think it was the roots of the hay growing over and competing for water. Maybe nutrients too but I'd think mostly water. We had some dry summers.
In the cases where the pole beans were next to the fence, their growth was normal, and pod set was heavy - but much of the seed was deformed. Grass is always creeping in from the edges, but the plants were vigorous, so there was no evidence of nutrient deficiency. Something was affecting seed development only, which is what made me suspect allelopathy. This phenomenon has only occurred in the outside rows (as it did for Garafal Oro this year). The runner beans this year were in the middle of the garden.
When something like this happens to me I generally put it down to operator error. And I'm usually right.
Thanks (I think?) but that possibility has already been eliminated, I'll post this question for the site manager.

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Zeedman

This year, I also sowed Pretzel cowpea(?) for testing. It grew nicely until the mole began to dig under the plants. Growth was stopped and the bushes did not regain their strength until the end. Probably the root damage was too extensive and the balance between the aboveground and underground parts was upset too much. Maybe pulling the weeds affected your runner beans more than you think. I don't know, I just think aloud.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Harvest like this sure makes us glad for grocery stores! My garden produced very well this year except for yellow squash and zucchini squash. The two things that normally pound me to death with squash, all died, starting as seedlings. I replanted several times to finally get nice plants that bore very little before the bugs got them.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Zeedman

This year, I also sowed Pretzel cowpea(?) for testing. It grew nicely until the mole began to dig under the plants. Growth was stopped and the bushes did not regain their strength until the end. Probably the root damage was too extensive and the balance between the aboveground and underground parts was upset too much. Maybe pulling the weeds affected your runner beans more than you think. I don't know, I just think aloud.
(added emphasis mine)
I suppose it is possible that the runner beans in the rural garden were more sensitive to root disturbance than the other legume species... the weeds there had well developed roots when pulled. It is also possible that there was more than one factor involved, since Gigandes was grown in a weed-free garden, and it did eventually recover. Who knows. Every year brings a new mystery, some of which just laugh at our efforts to unravel them. :hu

Decoy1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Algarrobo - Bush Dry. Nice producitve bean from Columbia. This beans seed didn't hardly exibit any water stress. I acquired the bean from Amy Hawk of Calhan, Colorado in 2011 from her Simply Beans website. I ran across her site again this summer to find that she has retired from selling beans anymore.
Algarrobo - Bush Dry. Nice producitve bean from Columbia. This beans seed didn't hardly exibit any water stress. I acquired the bean from Amy Hawk of Calhan, Colorado in 2011 from her Simply Beans website. I ran across her site again this summer to find that she has retired from selling beans anymore.

Algarrobo.jpg
Way back on Bean Show day 1 you showed this Algarrobo bean. I was sent a bean labelled as Algarrobo which I’ve since seen called Algarrobo rote form. I’m wondering what the connection, apart from name, can be. They are totally different in appearance.

Attachments

• 035094E2-725F-4441-AE0C-DAE2B1E96328.jpeg
    035094E2-725F-4441-AE0C-DAE2B1E96328.jpeg
    191.2 KB · Views: 180

Decoy1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Maria Zeller - Bush Dry. I acquired this bean in autumn of 2011 From Andrea Jones of Derby, England. After seeing the bean on her website "The Linear Legume". She was also having trouble keeping this bean going in her gardening enviornment. She sent me two seeds and I grew the beans out for two seasons and returned about 60 nice hand picked seeds to her at the end of the 2013 growing season.

Mona Lisa - Pole Dry. It was rough going for this bean again this summer. A beautiful variety bred by a friend of my Austrian bean contact in Liebenfels Harriet Mella.

Maria Zeller.jpg
I grow Maria Zeller too. My seed it just a little rounder I think.

Attachments

• 3D17D8CA-91DB-4A10-9B75-E2E857747C29.jpeg
    3D17D8CA-91DB-4A10-9B75-E2E857747C29.jpeg
    137.1 KB · Views: 181

Latest posts