2020 Little Easy Bean Network - An Exciting Adventure In Heirloom Beans !

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yay!

i'm selecting these four for grow outs:

Brown Lima
Montville - dry bean bush
Pisarecka Zlutoluske - Hungarian Bush Wax, early
Venda - Bush

bonus beans:

Purple Rain
Purple Rose

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bean Germination Tests,

Last autumn my living room was full of plates of shelled bean seed. Now that it's getting closer to spring I want to know how well the beans of past growing seasons are going to grow by doing some germination testing. 150 varieties all total. I start testing seed each year when the seed reaches the age of 5 years. Living room floor dinning room table and kitchen counter. and the top of my refrigerator. Seed wrapped in moisten paper towel kept in ziploc baggies.

BEAN GERMINATION #1.JPG

BEAN GERMINATION #2.JPG

BEAN GERMINATION #3.JPG

BEAN GERMINATION #4.JPG

BEAN GERMINATION #5.JPG

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am trying to save as much of Robert Lobitz's bean legacy as I can. Robert Lobitz was a Seed Saver Exchange member from about 1982 to the time of his death in January of 2006. Robert spent much time, energy, and enthusiasm in his short life to bring these beans into the world. I think it would be a sad thing to just allow them to pass out of existence. I think there maybe some of his varieties that are at risk of going extinct. I had acquired a list of Robert's original named beans from Ron Thuma of Hartford, Kansas who had obtianed this list from Robert's brother James Lobitz. Over the last eight years I have acquired 71 of Robert's 103 named beans. If anyone has, is keeping, or knows of a source for any of the following beans. Could you please share a sample or trade me for something in my yearbook listing, or share the source information as to where they can be obtained. I am not even sure if all of these named beans even exist. So the following varieties are the names of Robert's original named beans that I have not yet obtained.

1.) Abundant Little Gem
2.) Bonanza Valley Navy
3.) Clarisa
4.) Cokato
5.) Crow River Speckles
6.) Eagle Island White
7.) Early Bird
8.) Early Dawn Pinto
9.) Eden Lake Pearls
10.) Eagle Island White
11.) Koronis Giant Pinto
12.) Koronis Little Red Trout
13.) Koronis Little White
14.) Koronis Red Eye
15.) Koronis White Oaks
16.) Koronis Yellow
17.) Little Baby Pinto
18.) Little Cloud Lepard
19.) North Star Yellow Eye
20.) North Town Brown Eye
21.) Oak Tree Pinto
22.) Purple Glory
23.) Purple Tiger
24.) Red Poded Red Swan
25.) Salt Spring Gold
26.) Snowbird Pinto
27.) Spring Valley Pinto
28.) Swan Island
29.) Swan River
30.) Queen Bee
31.) White Hawk
32.) White Sun

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
hope you can find more of them @Bluejay77 !

if you design a page for your website and post it there you might get some via that route. not all search engines index all the way down deep in web sites like this one.

Lori B

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I am trying to save as much of Robert Lobitz's bean legacy as I can. Robert Lobitz was a Seed Saver Exchange member from about 1982 to the time of his death in January of 2006. Robert spent much time, energy, and enthusiasm in his short life to bring these beans into the world. I think it would be a sad thing to just allow them to pass out of existence. I think there maybe some of his varieties that are at risk of going extinct. I had acquired a list of Robert's original named beans from Ron Thuma of Hartford, Kansas who had obtianed this list from Robert's brother James Lobitz. Over the last eight years I have acquired 71 of Robert's 103 named beans. If anyone has, is keeping, or knows of a source for any of the following beans. Could you please share a sample or trade me for something in my yearbook listing, or share the source information as to where they can be obtained. I am not even sure if all of these named beans even exist. So the following varieties are the names of Robert's original named beans that I have not yet obtained.

1.) Abundant Little Gem
2.) Bonanza Valley Navy
3.) Clarisa
4.) Cokato
5.) Crow River Speckles
6.) Eagle Island White
7.) Early Bird
8.) Early Dawn Pinto
9.) Eden Lake Pearls
10.) Eagle Island White
11.) Koronis Giant Pinto
12.) Koronis Little Red Trout
13.) Koronis Little White
14.) Koronis Red Eye
15.) Koronis White Oaks
16.) Koronis Yellow
17.) Little Baby Pinto
18.) Little Cloud Lepard
19.) North Star Yellow Eye
20.) North Town Brown Eye
21.) Oak Tree Pinto
22.) Purple Glory
23.) Purple Tiger
24.) Red Poded Red Swan
25.) Salt Spring Gold
26.) Snowbird Pinto
27.) Spring Valley Pinto
28.) Swan Island
29.) Swan River
30.) Queen Bee
31.) White Hawk
32.) White Sun
Is Red Podded Red Swan possibly the same as the red swan being sold by rareseeds.com? https://www.rareseeds.com/store/vegetables/beans/beans/red-swan-bush-bean
This is one of my favorites to grow!! I do have seeds.

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is Red Podded Red Swan possibly the same as the red swan being sold by rareseeds.com?

Red Podded Red Swan could very well be the same bean. James Lobitz probably made up the list from whatever he discovered in Robert's property. However both names appeared on the list. Then again James probably didn't know a whole lot about what was going on with Robert's bean projects and grow outs. Maybe I should remove Red Podded Red Swan from list.

Last edited:

Lori B

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Red Podded Red Swan could very well be the same bean. James Lobitz probably made up the list from whatever he discovered in Robert's property. However both names appeared on the list. Then again James probably didn't know a whole lot about what was going on with Robert's bean projects and grow outs. Maybe I should remove Red Podded Red Swam from list.
Would you like me to send you some of my seeds from them to compare?

Latest posts