2020 Little Easy Bean Network - An Exciting Adventure In Heirloom Beans !

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Swan River almost reminds be a bit of another of Robert's Beans called "Canoe". This might be a better version of that bean. So far "Canoe" has not produced a good crop for me (very low volume of seed) or very many beans with the original seed coat.

The "Koronis Little Red Trout" I am suspecting may have come out of the same cross as "Koronis Tan Trout". One of the colors may have showed up in a later season as a segregation. Both have about the same small seed size and have the same pattern.

Koronis Tan Trout
Koronis Tan Trout-2001.jpg

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm collecting some bean seeds as the pods dry enough, generally when the pods get crinkly. We are in a wet period and I don't want the seeds sprouting in the pod as they tend to do in wet weather so I'm collecting daily. This is Cock 'n Bull, one of the Will Bonsall beans I'm trying to stabilize.

It doesn't happen that often, but in maybe 10% to 15% of the pods I open, I get beans that look like this. All the beans are solid red like they should be except I'll get some that have one light bean. It is always the one on the stem end of the pod. I don't think all these are coming from the same plant but maybe. Has anyone seen anything like this before? I guess it could be a reverse but always at the stem end of the pod?

Next one I open like this I plan on putting all those beans to the side and see what they look like when they totally dry out. I know they will get darker and this one tends to shrivel up a bit as it dries. I just want to see what that light one does compared to the others.
Cock 'n Bull Multi.jpg

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Something else I find interesting. My working name for this in is Miss T Red. It's another Will Bonsall bean. I named the original bean from this line Miss T but every time I've planted it I've gotten segregations. The pattern seems to be consistent but the colors change. At least until this year, this color seems to have repeated. But this is about the pattern, not the color.

These beans are from the same pod. They are in the same position in each shot, just turned over. I find the differences in the patterns on different beans, even in the same pod, to be interesting. Just that much difference on each side is fun.

Miss T Red Side 1.jpg

Miss T Red Side 2.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm collecting some bean seeds as the pods dry enough, generally when the pods get crinkly. We are in a wet period and I don't want the seeds sprouting in the pod as they tend to do in wet weather so I'm collecting daily. This is Cock 'n Bull, one of the Will Bonsall beans I'm trying to stabilize.

It doesn't happen that often, but in maybe 10% to 15% of the pods I open, I get beans that look like this. All the beans are solid red like they should be except I'll get some that have one light bean. It is always the one on the stem end of the pod. I don't think all these are coming from the same plant but maybe. Has anyone seen anything like this before? I guess it could be a reverse but always at the stem end of the pod?

Next one I open like this I plan on putting all those beans to the side and see what they look like when they totally dry out. I know they will get darker and this one tends to shrivel up a bit as it dries. I just want to see what that light one does compared to the others.
View attachment 35670

i'm guessing that might just be an immature bean that hasn't fully gotten finished.

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The first pods from beans that grow in pots in my home. With the exception of Alice Sunshine, these are Polish local varieties from seeds from the gene bank, which I sowed to check the type of growth. No one will remember the catalog numbers, so they got the names of the places where the seeds were collected.

DSCN9741.jpg

Top l-r: Uzranki, Alice Sunshine, Sidun
l-r: Goleszów / Goleshoof, Wiślica / Vislitsa

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew some beans in pots in my house about 6 years ago. The pods turn out looking so beautiful being free of any blemishes.

i would love to have a big enough space to have enough light and room to grow beautiful pods like that!

today the first bean garden got planted 12 kinds of beans. with the crazy weather we've been having the full paranoid gardener in me comes out right about now.

all of the Purple Dove, Purple Diamond, Purple Rain and Purple Rose are in rows next to each other to see how they compare. same garden, same soil, same conditions. will be fun to see what happens. :)

tomorrow i hope to get at least one more bean garden planted inside the fence and perhaps start and finish planting another, but hard to say exactly for sure these days what i will get done as i am having some other emergency interruptions and mowing.

i did get another bean garden planted. 6 more varieties and more of a few of the previous planted. made sure to put some of the Galopka where i can keep an eye on them.

on to the next today, a bit more involved since there are a few pathways we've taken out there that will slow me down and a bit of a chore in another garden i need to finish up first. looks like another nice day out there today. :) :) :)

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i always have some parental seed starting anxiety when i plant the beans each season. glad to say that i saw some of the first sprouts poking up yesterday and so there should be some more showing up today. :) *whew!* :)

Third Bean Garden of 2020 (planted yesterday and the day before) - this is actually now a redone combination of three previous gardens and still one part to go yet (in the background to the left):

DSC_20200604_131925-0400_426_Corner_thm.jpg

i don't have the other pics posted on-line yet...

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought I'd post this for fun. I'm harvesting a lot of dried beans right now. I can do that since i can plant mine in early March. Most of these are new segregations I got this year from the Will Bonsall beans and the segregations I found in Bluejay. A few of the Will Bonsall beans are stabilizing but very few. But I'm not posting this to talk about that.

Most of these are not the final mature colors. I collect a lot of pods after they have dried enough to be crinkly but before they have totally dried out. If I don't do that and they get wet in our regular afternoon thunderstorms they sprout in the pod. I'm getting some of those even though I usually collect daily.

When I do my bean show about these you won't see many of these colors. Purple will probably be black. The pinks can change to different colors, muddy brown to maybe a sharp purple. Patterns may be easier or harder to see. I thought these immature colors would make a nice picture.

Immature Beans.jpg

Latest posts