2020 Little Easy Bean Network - An Exciting Adventure In Heirloom Beans !

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug,

I think you are probably talking about Japanese beetles. Having an amazing year with the beetles here this year. It's the lightest population of them since I first noticed them here in 2011. They are hardly noticeable here at all. Sure wish it would be that way every growing season

yes, that's them for sure. :) i certainly have seen much worse. so far it looks like being consistent and getting out each morning i can keep them from getting their gatherings going which seem to attract even more to join in.

Decoy1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Decoy1 i have found a few plants this season that looked so wrong that i pulled them out when i noticed them. whatever it was i sure didn't want it spreading or if it was a genetic issue i didn't want any bees crossing those plants with others.

with the number of seeds i get from other sources i have to keep an eye on every new variety planted to make sure they're not bringing in new diseases.

Yes, I’m beginning to think I have some varieties infected with mosaic virus. Frustrating, as I think it probably means I shouldn’t keep the seed and shouldn’t send Ernie’s Big Eye seed back to you, Russ.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
The other possibility is something in the manure/compost I used on the beds.

Yes, I’m beginning to think I have some varieties infected with mosaic virus. Frustrating, as I think it probably means I shouldn’t keep the seed and shouldn’t send Ernie’s Big Eye seed back to you, Russ.

Post some photos of the plants. Don't get to much of a close up but close enough to see the plants leaves well. I can recognize Mosaic as I've seen it here before. I've torn out and destroyed plants here. I've been told if you have BCMV you shouldn't grow beans or peas on that ground for 1 or 2 years to allow the virus to die out in the soil

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Decoy1

What I wanted the Ernie's Big Eye for was just to look at if it turns out the way I think it will in your climate. I'm growing some new Ernie's Big Eye for myself this year also. Yes I do want the seed if it looks right. Photo material not necessarily growing material.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
from what i have read so far the bean mosaic viruses are usually spread via aphids, but are not a soil issue. there are resistant varieties of beans too.

the viruses that are soil related are the tobacco mosiac viruses (and perhaps others i've not read up on yet :) ).

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Decoy1
maybe it's just a magnesium deficiency caused by the cold and too much water in the soil. The leaves look similar to those with a mosaic. Spraying 0.5% magnesium sulfate solution helped my beans . The new leaves are beautifully green. On old leaves, the changes will not reverse.

Decoy1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
4C2CE64E-8954-4729-90AF-40408F5FD6A4.jpeg1A757AE1-E827-4112-8EA1-676D452AB3B5.jpeg

Decoy1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
some photos of the plants. Don't get to much of a close up but close enough to see the plants leaves well. I can recognize Mosaic as I've seen it here before. I've torn out and destroyed plants here. I've been told if you have BCMV you shouldn't grow beans or peas on that ground for 1 or 2 years to allow the virus to die out in the soil
I’ve read also that I should pull up the beans but as they’re producing beans that will be quite a wrench. I have maybe 60 or 70 varieties and about a quarter are affected. Where I have the yellowing it’s whole varieties and then right next door there are healthy ones which is why I think it probably isn’t a magnesium deficiency as I know there are varieties (especially more recent ones) which are resistant to the virus. Mugungi is also affected.

Like Flowerbug I’ve also read that it’s not soilborne but can be transmitted by aphids or through seed. I haven’t seen any aphid infestation but guess it doesn’t need to be an infestation.

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
For me, this is an extreme magnesium deficiency. I had a similar situation. There is a lot of rain and cold nights in Poland this year. Magnesium sulfate helped. Try it.

Decoy1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
For me, this is an extreme magnesium deficiency. I had a similar situation. There is a lot of rain and cold nights in Poland this year. Magnesium sulfate helped. Try it.
Would it affect some varieties and others be fine though? There is such a marked difference between varieties

Latest posts