2020 shortages

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Which reminds me of the local Walmart in Spring, which placed boxes of wash towels in the empty TP aisle. Hint, hint...

The conditions are ripe for another panic, all it takes is a media trigger.

To a point, "hoarding" may just be stocking up, buying as much as possible each store visit to limit exposure to potential super-spreader events. DW & I, being in the at-risk category, have followed that philosophy since the pandemic began. But for those living in urban areas, where riots & post-election violence are anticipated, the threat of food shortages is very real. Some groups & individuals (such as the one in the video) are stoking those fears... whether that is ultimately helpful or destructive remains to be seen. I expect to see massive panic buying next week, if it hasn't already started.

i had my chance yesterday and i only got milk and bananas but perhaps we'll do some shopping tomorrow. the weather forecast looks very raw and we heard from a relative that they are short on some food so it might be a good time to go stock up on some staples and take some to them.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we found regular sized lids today and stocked up enough to make sure the coming canning season is not such a scramble. :) however, there were no large mouth lids at all so we'll still keep an eye open for some of those.

the TP section was wiped out (pun intended :) ). we did get a four pack of our normal TP brand so it was not a complete elimination, but close enough...

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Canning jars seem to be coming back, the local supermarket has a shelf full - and they would be the last to get them. Still no lids though, other than the ones that come with the jars... I've got to wonder if that is intentional, since Ball/Kerr makes more money that way.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Canning jars seem to be coming back, the local supermarket has a shelf full - and if they would be the last to get them. Still no lids though, other than the ones that come with the jars... I've got to wonder if that is intentional, since Ball/Kerr makes more money that way.

at the moment if they're selling everything they can make that's a pretty darned good business... :)

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Everything canning should be restocked shortly, as the freeze line extends further South & puts an end to the growing season. I even found citric acid yesterday, that has been non-existent since some time around May or June.

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Socks. I'm having trouble finding basic, white crew socks. Walmart used to have a large section, but now it's about half the size it was and most of the area is empty. I've been looking for about a month, and finally got me a package yesterday.

My Walmart has lids & jars, just not very many. Most of the canning section is bare. But I did spot 1 pressure canner yesterday. I was surprised.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Grocery stores here are actually stocking up beyond the 3day supply on holiday food items so that everyone can cook their holiday dinners. That 3 day supply suer broke down and failed, glad they are doing this.

Meantime back to moaning about jar lids.......

Latest posts