2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ohhh those are beautiful! I'm jealous of these beans.

considering the beans i was given looked like this (only a bit darker) ... [not my picture either]:

c13aa13801a9cc635b9aa3e4b756879b.jpg

i'm not particularly upset at the results as my first year grow outs barely gave me anything solid colored, but what i had i planted and this is a part of the results. i have some that are dark blue to almost black in color and others with a mottled pattern.

i think i should ditch all these because i don't want to keep growing something that isn't what it should be (and giving those genes a chance to spread to my other beans which would give me even more projects that i don't really need on top of the rest i already have...) if they were the solid color ones and the right shape i'd tolerate them being a pole bean, but the cut-short pattern and the off-type makes them a dead-end for me right now.

you want to adopt them? i'd suggest instead just getting the solid color Sacre Bleu pole beans instead.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Been racking my brain trying to figure out where I might have lost two soybean plants. I was drying them down inside; only 2 of that variety actually sprouted so I really wanted to harvest what they have, since I don't have much. I knew I didn't accidentally put them in the compost pile, nor shell them out since they are the only green soy variety. I was just boggled about what happened to them. I found them this afternoon.

20211014_111609_resized.jpg

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
'Piekny Jas' bean is rolling to a stop, couple dozen more pods left to mature (hopefully) out there and that's it!
I think it's the heaviest harvest I've ever had of beans, though it is the biggest bean I've ever planted. 8 plants, and as of tonight it's just over 6 pounds. I'm going to try and get a photo of all the beans in one shot when the last pods finish. Thank you @Artorius ! I love it!
20211014_205037_resized.jpg

Last edited:

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
'Piekny Jas' bean is rolling to a stop, couple dozen more pods left to mature (hopefully) out there and that it's!
I think it's the heaviest harvest I've ever had of beans, though it is the biggest bean I've ever planted. 8 plants, and as of tonight it's just over 6 pounds. I'm going to try and get a photo of all the beans in one shot when the last pods finish. Thank you @Artorius ! I love it!
View attachment 44423
Yours look so much better than mine... one of the benefits to a cooler climate.

jbosmith

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Last edited:

Boilergardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I do not supplement nitrogen at all for my beans. I'm always afraid if I do it will be too much for beans and affect them in a negative way. Maybe I should fertilize the soil with something a few weeks before planting. I think bloodmeal might be a good nitrogen addative. My bush bean planting is 6 inches apart in the row (15 cm) row spacing at my backyard bean nursery is 27 inches (68.5 cm). Row spacing at Bean Acres is 30 inches (76 cm). Last year I planted bush beans where I planted pole beans this year. That bush bean row spacing was 40 inches (101 cm)

Pole beans are 4 seeds around a pole. I think they are roughly 5 inches apart and have always grown well like that together. Poles are spaced 36 inches apart (91 cm) I could space them a bid farther apart. Rows a space 55 inches (139 cm)

Those plastic solo cups I showed in a prevous post it was my intention to start only one plant in each cup. If I would have used this starting method for pole beans this year. It would have entailed 524 of those cups. I was thinking about watering them at night then moving them to the outdoors in the morning in some type of box where the cups would fit together close enough so they would not fall over.
I have a college fraternity brother who farms in the thumb of MI. He grows some dry beans i think navies and maybe black beans and great northerns for the soup bean companies up there. at planting the farmers up there use a row starter 2x2, which i assume liquid 28% Nitrogen maybe some other fert blends. 2x2 means 2 inches below and 2 inches to the side of the seed trench. I was told the dry beans need an extra nitrogen source as they dont produce enough on their own thru n fixation like soybeans do. I need to experiment with N applications preplant.

I probably next year will get a bag of AMS (21-0-0-26S) and spin on preplant with a little hand held spinner.

I will experiment with the AMS because our midwest soils are very low in sulfur, because we do not get the free sulfur from the acid rains like we used to years ago. So could be an added benefit with the sulfur and N both. (I'm not complaining about the lack of acid rain I like fresh air!)

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yours look so much better than mine... one of the benefits to a cooler climate.
I think it's just the photo @Zeedman , I saw your tray some ways back, and ours look the same. I have some bumpity wumpity ones in there too, they just weren't at the top of my weight scale dish. It's a bit of a mix.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
'Schneebohne'. A new one for me. There is a wee bit more to fully dry up and shell, but I only started with 3 seeds so I'm pretty happy with the return. It finishes a bit later than other poles I've grown, like many of the European ones I've tried, but in a good summer this can definitely make it.
20211014_203039_resized_1.jpg
20211014_202324_resized.jpg