2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Several vulgaris varieties i'm working on stabilizing have black seeds and purple pods. These are from what I guess one or more of the ringwoods crossed with Cherokee trail of tears. Been sorting these a few years now. Some of the plants didn't seem to know what they'd be. those got selected out. Some few were just runts. I really do think ringwood's ancestors were on different sides of the vulgaris species. different subspecies. then along came cherokee trail of tears. a bit much. so i think these i'm working on are from wide crosses. I have difficulty understanding it, so i have difficulty talking about it. All I can do is segregate by single plant selections, and keep track. But, for this year's garden, I have some with good sized, full glossy black, well shaped bean seeds that came from, A)bush, and B)1/2 runner plants, separated by plant. Pods were purple, some randomly with green crease lines. Also still have their relative uncle or aunt variety almost stabilised, a pole dry variety extremely productive, whose purple/black pods dry up in a way that only 1 or 2 pickings gets almost all of them, and if you plant 10 feet of them you'll be filling coffee cans for making black bean chile!

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 I noticed last night when I was looking through your bean collector's window that a very lovely bean you once had listed is gone, it was called 'Mona Lisa'. That was such an unbelievably pretty bean!! Does it's disappearance mean that it's a 'gone forever' bean now? That would be so sad....:hit

The bean names 'Apple Creek' and 'Possum Trot'..... 😍 you can never forget beans with names like those...

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi @heirloomgal,

The disappearance of Mona Lisa is until I can get a good grow out on it again. There are other beans that have disappeared as well. I replace some of them with beans that I have enough to offer. Cuts down a little bit on having so many Sold Out beans appearing on the pages.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Got an email yesterday from a lady Maryland who wants to be a part of the Network grow out this summer. She also has a purple podded bean with black seeds and very long pods that she is going to send to me. She says 9 plants can feed a whole family all summer and then some. She grows asparagus beans although not exclusively, so I had a feeling that the seeds she wants to send me could be that species. I don't know for sure though. I asked her for a photo of the seeds, which she sent. I'm posting the photo of the seeds here so anyone that is more famililar with other species of beans other than the ones I deal with all the time can take a look at these seeds. Tell me what species of bean she is sending to me.

View attachment 39060
no idea, but they sure sound interesting!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 I noticed last night when I was looking through your bean collector's window that a very lovely bean you once had listed is gone, it was called 'Mona Lisa'. That was such an unbelievably pretty bean!! Does it's disappearance mean that it's a 'gone forever' bean now? That would be so sad....:hit

The bean names 'Apple Creek' and 'Possum Trot'..... 😍 you can never forget beans with names like those...

i tried to find it but could not other than via google search and a picture on someone else's pinterest page (which doesn't work well since i'm not signed up there so after a few moments or scrolling you can't see anything else).

is there a link to a page for that bean?

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
i tried to find it but could not other than via google search and a picture on someone else's pinterest page (which doesn't work well since i'm not signed up there so after a few moments or scrolling you can't see anything else).

is there a link to a page for that bean?
The only place I have ever seen that bean was on @Bluejay77 's Bean Collector's site. I'm guessing it's quite a rare bean. I only noticed the other night that it wasn't there.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
The only place I have ever seen that bean was on @Bluejay77 's Bean Collector's site. I'm guessing it's quite a rare bean. I only noticed the other night that it wasn't there.

yes, sorry, i was asking if you could link to that page on @Bluejay77 's website because i couldn't find it and wanted to see where it was. :)

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
yes, sorry, i was asking if you could link to that page on @Bluejay77 's website because i couldn't find it and wanted to see where it was. :)
I think @Bluejay77 has removed the photo, and will not re-post to his site until that bean variety gets grown again and his supplies of it are restored...

Latest posts